Solving gradients of right angle triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses how m3 and u1 are obtained in a diagram with gradients of each line. It is mentioned that m3 can be any value as long as the arms of the short sides of the right triangle are specified. It is then stated that u1 can be calculated using the formula (hz+delta_hz)/m3. The conversation ends with a question about how m3 = 1/k3 + k3 is calculated and a request for an explanation on how u1 is obtained.
mamort
Please take a look at attached diagram displaying gradients of each line, please explain how m3 is obtained.
Gradient Problem.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No. If you don't specify how long the arms of the short sides of the right triangle need to be, then you can make m3 be whatever you want, and you'll still have a right-triangle with 1/x and -x as the gradient of two of the sides.

True I think I might of head down the wrong path I am trying to solve the following problem in the diagram below. I am unsure how u1 is obtained. I assume that the gradient of the green line is used to solve as shown below

m3 = (hz+delta_hz)/(u1)
therefore
u1 = (hz+delta_hz)/m3
where
m3 = 1/k3+k3

If this is the case then how has m3 = 1/k3 + k3 been calculated?
Otherwise can you please explain how u1 has been obtained?
Geometric Problem.jpg

What is a right angle triangle?

A right angle triangle is a triangle with one angle measuring 90 degrees, also known as a right angle. This makes the other two angles acute, or less than 90 degrees.

How do you find the gradient of a right angle triangle?

The gradient of a right angle triangle is found by dividing the length of the side opposite the right angle (the "rise") by the length of the side adjacent to the right angle (the "run"). This can also be expressed as the ratio of the vertical change to the horizontal change.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical formula that states that in a right angle triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

How do you use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the gradient of a right angle triangle?

To use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the gradient of a right angle triangle, you can rearrange the formula to solve for the side adjacent to the right angle. Then, you can plug in the values for the opposite and hypotenuse sides into the gradient formula to find the gradient.

What are some real-world applications of solving gradients of right angle triangles?

Solving gradients of right angle triangles is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, engineers use gradients to calculate the slope of a road or the height of a building, while physicists use gradients to calculate the force or acceleration of an object. It is also used in navigation, such as determining the slope of a hiking trail or the angle of a ship's course.