Solving Hydraulic Cylinder Issue: 100N Force at 4m/sec, Stroke 128mm

In summary, a new forum member is seeking help converting a linear force to run a cylindrical roller at a specific speed. They provide details about the force and speed, and mention possibly needing an energy balance without considering inertia and losses. The method they are considering may not be the best option and they are open to other suggestions.
Murali_1972
hi everyone,

i am a new entrant to this forum. can anyone help me to solve this issue.

i have a hydraulic cylinder arrangement which delivers 100N force at 4m/sec with a stroke length of 128mm. i need to convert this linear force to run a cylindrical roller.

what will be the torque it can deliver if the cylindrical roller needs to run at 1465rpm.

thanks
murali

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi everyone,

if anyone can help to solve this, i will be very thankful.if any other details are also needed for solving this, please let me know so that i can try to provide the same.

thanks,
R.Murali

Try to write an energy balance without considering inertia contribute and losses (force*velocity=torque*ang_velocity).

M

This sounds like a poor way to drive a cylinder so quickly; I personally would use a motor coupled to it's end. If the driven cylinder is going 1465 rpm, that means the hydraulic cylinder would have to be going the same speed which is fantastically fast for something like that...

Related to Solving Hydraulic Cylinder Issue: 100N Force at 4m/sec, Stroke 128mm

1. How do I calculate the required hydraulic force for a given speed and stroke length?

The formula for calculating hydraulic force is F = P x A, where F is the force in Newtons, P is the pressure in Pascals, and A is the area of the piston in square meters. In this case, the force required would be 100N, the speed is 4m/sec, and the stroke length is 128mm. To calculate the pressure, we would need to convert the stroke length to meters (128mm = 0.128m) and use the formula P = m x v, where m is the mass of the object being moved and v is the velocity. With the given values, we can calculate the pressure as P = (100N/0.128m) x 4m/sec = 3125 Pa. Finally, we can calculate the required piston area by rearranging the formula to A = F/P, which gives us A = 100N/3125 Pa = 0.032m². Therefore, the required piston area is 0.032 square meters.

2. How can I troubleshoot issues with a hydraulic cylinder?

There are several steps you can take to troubleshoot issues with a hydraulic cylinder. Firstly, check for any visible leaks or damage to the cylinder, hoses, or connections. Next, check the fluid levels and make sure they are at the recommended level. If the cylinder is not moving, it could be due to low fluid levels or air in the system, which can be fixed by bleeding the air out. If there are no visible issues, it could be a problem with the hydraulic pump or valve, in which case it is best to consult a professional for repair.

3. What is the relationship between hydraulic force and speed?

As per the formula mentioned above, the hydraulic force is directly proportional to the pressure and the piston area. This means that an increase in either the pressure or the piston area will result in an increase in hydraulic force. Regarding speed, it is indirectly proportional to force. This means that as the speed increases, the force required to move the object decreases. However, this does not mean that the force is completely eliminated at higher speeds, as there will always be some resistance to movement.

4. How can I increase the speed of a hydraulic cylinder?

The speed of a hydraulic cylinder can be increased by increasing the flow rate of the hydraulic fluid. This can be done by increasing the size of the pump or using a pump with a higher flow rate. Additionally, using a larger diameter piston will also increase the speed of the cylinder as it will require less force to move the same amount of fluid. However, it is important to note that increasing the speed of a hydraulic cylinder may also require adjustments to the system components to ensure safety and efficiency.

5. What factors can affect the performance of a hydraulic cylinder?

Several factors can affect the performance of a hydraulic cylinder, including fluid viscosity, temperature, and contamination. The viscosity of the fluid can affect the speed and force of the cylinder, as well as its ability to lubricate and protect the components. High temperatures can cause the fluid to thin, reducing its effectiveness, while low temperatures can cause it to thicken, increasing resistance and potentially damaging the system. Contaminants such as dirt and debris can also affect the performance of the cylinder by clogging the valves and other components. Regular maintenance and using clean fluids can help minimize these effects and ensure optimal performance.