Solving Inequality: Get Help with (Uw-UL)<a-B

• MHB
  • Thread starter martyfarty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation with an inequality sign that the speaker is having trouble with. They ask for help and the other person explains that the inequality holds if and only if $\alpha > \beta$. They also demonstrate how to come to the equation step by step and mention that $\alpha$ and $\beta$ may have been reversed to eliminate a negative term. The speaker thanks the other person for their help.
martyfarty
Hi, I am reading a paper and in this equation is given.

View attachment 6477

I don't quite follow how they end up with the last (Uw-UL)<a-B. If I do it myself I get the inequality sign wrong.

Any help?

Thx

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 49
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome martyfarty,

The inequality holds if and only if $\alpha > \beta$. If you had the inequality reversed, then perhaps you had $\alpha < \beta$.

Indeed \alpha > \beta is true. How would you step by step come to the last equation given that \alpha > \beta?

Let's first subtract \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) from both sides:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\left(U^W-U^L\right)}{2(\alpha-\beta)}<\frac{1}{2}\)

If $\alpha-\beta>0$, then we may multiply through by $2(\alpha-\beta)$ to get:

\(\displaystyle U^W-U^L<\alpha-\beta\)

MarkFL said:
Let's first subtract \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) from both sides:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\left(U^W-U^L\right)}{2(\alpha-\beta)}<\frac{1}{2}\)

If $\alpha-\beta>0$, then we may multiply through by $2(\alpha-\beta)$ to get:

\(\displaystyle U^W-U^L<\alpha-\beta\)

However, \(\displaystyle \alpha\) and \(\displaystyle \beta\) are reversed right? Like this

\(\displaystyle \frac{\left(U^W-U^L\right)}{2(\beta-\alpha)}<\frac{1}{2}\)

martyfarty said:
However, \(\displaystyle \alpha\) and \(\displaystyle \beta\) are reversed right? Like this

\(\displaystyle \frac{\left(U^W-U^L\right)}{2(\beta-\alpha)}<\frac{1}{2}\)

No, I reversed them to get rid of the leading negative for that term. :D

MarkFL said:
No, I reversed them to get rid of the leading negative for that term. :D

Okay wow, that option did not even cross my mind haha. Thanks for your help!

Related to Solving Inequality: Get Help with (Uw-UL)<a-B

1. How do I solve inequalities with multiple variables?

In order to solve inequalities with multiple variables, you can use the same techniques as solving equations with multiple variables. Begin by isolating one variable on one side of the inequality and then solving for it. You can then substitute that value into the original inequality to solve for the remaining variable.

2. What is the difference between solving inequalities with < and > versus ≤ and ≥?

When solving inequalities with < and >, the solution will be expressed in terms of an interval, such as x < 5. When solving inequalities with ≤ and ≥, the solution will be expressed in terms of the actual value, such as x ≤ 5. This is because ≤ and ≥ include the possibility of the variable being equal to the given value.

3. Can I graph inequalities to help solve them?

Yes, graphing inequalities can be a helpful visual aid in solving them. You can graph the inequality on a number line and then determine the solution based on the direction of the inequality symbol (either shading in the graph or marking it with an open or closed circle).

4. Is there a specific order of operations for solving inequalities?

Yes, the order of operations for solving inequalities is the same as solving equations. Begin by using the distributive property if necessary, then combine like terms, and finally isolate the variable on one side of the inequality.

5. How can I check my solution to an inequality?

To check your solution to an inequality, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original inequality. If the resulting statement is true, then your solution is correct. If it is false, then you may need to recheck your work or find a different solution method.