Solving Ladderoperator Problem for c_+ Expressed in j and m

• Thread starter danja347
  • Start date
In summary, the constant c_+ expressed in terms of j and m in the given equation is C=h sqrt(j(j+1) -m^2 -m). This is derived by taking the inner product of the equation with its adjoint and using the properties of the ladder operator and Hermitian operators.
danja347
I need help figuring out the expression for the constant [tex]c_+[/tex]
expressed in j and m in the following equation:

[tex]\hat J_+|Y_{jm}>=c_+|Y_{jm+1}>[/tex]

Y is just spherical harmonics and [tex]\hat J_+=\hat J_x + i\hat J_y[/tex] is a ladderoperator.

/Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
danja347 said:
I need help figuring out the expression for the constant [tex]c_+[/tex]
expressed in j and m in the following equation:

[tex]\hat J_+|Y_{jm}>=c_+|Y_{jm+1}>[/tex]

Y is just spherical harmonics and [tex]\hat J_+=\hat J_x + i\hat J_y[/tex] is a ladderoperator.

/Daniel

1.Have u tried to look it into your QM book?It's something pretty "classical".Try Cohen-Tanoudji.
2.I would have given u alink,but the server at univ texas at austin is dead.Anyway...I would have actually wanted to upload that chapter from the course,but the server wouldn't accept anything more than 50KB.

Good Luck!

Thanks... its all clear now! :-/

trying to recall...oh yeah:

J+|jm>=C|j(m+1)>

<jm|adjoint(J+)=<j(m+1)|C*

J+=Jx+iJy
adjoint(J+)=Jx-iJy=J- (since J is Hermitian)

<jm|adjoint(J+)=<jm|J-

So taking the inner product:

<jm|J-J+|jm> = CC*<j(m+1)|j(m+1)> = CC*

J-J+=(Jx-iJy)(Jx+iJy)=JxJx+JyJy+i[Jx,Jy]=J^2 - (Jz)^2 -hJz

<jm|J-J+|jm>=<jm|J^2 - (Jz)^2 -hJz}jm>=j(j+1)h^2 -m^2 h^2 - h^2 m = CC*

So taking the square root:

C=h sqrt(j(j+1) -m^2 -m)

Last edited:

Related to Solving Ladderoperator Problem for c_+ Expressed in j and m

1. What is a ladder operator?

A ladder operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between different energy states of a system. It allows for the calculation of the energy levels and corresponding eigenstates of a quantum system.

2. What is the c_+ ladder operator?

The c_+ ladder operator is a specific type of ladder operator that represents the creation of a particle with a higher energy state in a quantum system. It is often used in the context of angular momentum and spin operators.

3. How is the c_+ ladder operator expressed in terms of j and m?

The c_+ ladder operator can be expressed as c_+ = c_x + ic_y, where c_x and c_y are the x and y components of the angular momentum operator, and i is the imaginary unit. This can also be written as c_+ = c_1 + ic_2, where c_1 and c_2 are the components of the spin operator.

4. What is the significance of solving the ladder operator problem for c_+?

Solving the ladder operator problem for c_+ allows for the calculation of the energy levels and eigenstates of a quantum system in terms of the spin operator. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of the system, and can be used to make predictions about its behavior under different conditions.

5. How is the c_+ ladder operator used in practical applications?

The c_+ ladder operator is used in a variety of practical applications, including nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, atomic and molecular physics, and quantum computing. It allows for the manipulation and control of energy states in a quantum system, making it an essential tool in these fields of study.