Solving m - (x-n)^2: Get Help Here

• Thread starter iNsChris
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a quadratic equation and using the method of completing the square to find the values of M and N. The process involves expanding and comparing coefficients, resulting in the solution of M = 9 and N = 2. The conversation also touches on the concept of values and coefficients and their use in solving identities. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to learn and understand the method of completing the square for solving quadratic equations.
iNsChris
m - (x -n)^2 = ? HELP MEEEE

Hi guys,

Im new here and wasn't sure what section to post this in :)

Doing as maths at the moment.

m - (x - n)^2 =m - x^2 - N^2 I thought...

But its

m - (x - n)^2 = n^2 + 2nx - x^2

Could someone explain why 2nx appears (It must be a basic rule that i have forgotten since doing gcse maths)

If you could help that would be much apreciated :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
the thing described above has really confused me!

So say it is:

= n^2 + 2nx - x^2

Then the textbook somehow gets it simplified to:

= m - n^2

When i tried to simplify it i got it to:

m - 2nx - n^2

So i thought n^2 would cancel 2n leaving 2x but can't do that...

so I am very confused :)

Look forward to the answer

Thanks,

(x - n)^2 = (x - n)(x - n) = (x*x - x*n - n*x + n*n) = x^2 - 2nx + n^2

So,
m - (x-n)^2 = m - (x^2 - 2nx + n^2) = m - x^2 + 2nx - n^2

ok that makes sense cheers,

but what about the simplyfying one?

Hmm, the algebraic solution pig gave is correct
m - (x - n)^2 = m - x^2 + 2nx - n^2
I don't follow how you can further simplify that expression without another equation. If the textbook says you can simplify this result to m - (x - n)^2 = m - n^2, then x = 0 and n can be any number [including 0].

Yes, and x can also be 2n.

Agreed. To further simplify m=n^2.

PLease provide a complete statement of the problem. Then show us what you have done to arrive at a solution. With this information we can help you.

Hey guys - Yeh sorry should of just shown you the full question (along with textbook solution).

Here is the question - Scroll down to see conclusion or don't look, do it yourself and if your arrive at same answer please explain as I am confused :)

Thanks.

Question

Find the numbers M and N such that:

5 + 4x - x² = M - (x -n)²

For all real values of x.

Solution from textbook:

m - (x - n)² = m - (x² - 2nx + n²)
= m - n² + 2nx - x²

Comparing coefficients, 5 = m - n² (... answer 1)
and 4 = 2n (... answer 2)
From (answer 2), n = 2 ; putting this into (answer 1) gives 5 = m - 4
Which means m = 9

---------------------------------------------------
If you can't explain to well could you provide a link explaining these as my textbook has confused me with this one.

I got the correct answer to:

x(1 + a + b) = 1 + 3 + 5 + 3 This was fairly straight forward (x = 1 then did x = 2) to find that a = 2 and b = 3.

It then went on to solve them using a method called "coefficents" which i need to re read and find a better explanatioN!" I am sure once i learn this i will find these fine.

Can i solve it using the "values" way to solve all Indentities or will i need to learn both ?

Cheers :)

Last edited:
BUMP For an answer

I'm not sure about other people but I don't exactly know what problem you have anymore. Could you please briefly explain what you are don't know or are struggling with?

i don't see how they got the above answer from the question - They seem to have got it down from:

To :

= m - n² + 2nx - x²

Which means m = 9

5 + 4x - x^2 = m - (x -n)^2
5 + 4x - x^2 = m - x^2 + 2nx - n^2
4x - x^2 + x^2 - 2nx = m - 5 - n^2
4x - 2nx = m - 5 - n^2
x(4 - 2n) = m - 5 - n^2

In order for this to work for all values of x, it must not depend on x. And it won't depend on x if 4 - 2n = 0, because x * 0 will be 0 regardless of x, so:

4 - 2n = 0
n = 2

And:

x(4 - 2n) = m - 5 - n^2
x(4 - 4) = m - 5 - 4
0 = m - 9
m = 9

iNsChris said:
i don't see how they got the above answer from the question - They seem to have got it down from:

To :

= m - n² + 2nx - x²

Which means m = 9

Chris, the above is called "completing the square" and is a very usuful technique for dealing with quadratic equations. You should try to learn and understand it.

I'm still not sure exactly what part of the given proof that you're struggling with, it seems very stright forward, expand and compare coefficients.

Is it the expansion (x-n)^2 = x^2 - 2nx + n^2 that's confusing you or is it the subtraction of the bracketed term in the next line that you don't understand or is it the very concept of comparing coefficients that has you beat?

Ok so how do you go from this:

to this:
4x - 2nx = m - 5 - n^2

You have somehow delete the
" x^2 + x^2" From the equation.

Then i see you have factorised this and got down to the final answer but how did you get rid of the thing shown above

x(4 - 2n) = m - 5 - n^2

--------------------

The book took big steps as well like somehow got:
= m - n^2 + 2nx - x^2

Then said "comparing coefficients, 5 = m-n^2 and it totally lost me!

I hate it when books that are suppose to teach you things don't explain the stages clearly.

I feel like a right stupid idiot

iNsChris said:
Ok so how do you go from this:

to this:
4x - 2nx = m - 5 - n^2

4x + (- x^2 + x^2) - 2nx = m - 5 - n^2

since -x^2 + x^2 = 0

then 4x + 0 - 2nx = m - 5 - n^2
4x - 2nx = m - 5 - n^2
x(4 - 2n) = m - 5 - n^2

since there are no x on the right hand side of this equation,
then 4 - 2n must be equal to zero for this equation to be valid

4 - 2n = 0
2n = 4
n = 2

we're left with:
0 = m - 5 - n^2

add both side with 5 + n^2

m = 5 + n^2
since n = 2, then
m = 5 + 2^2
m = 9

Hope that helps! :smile:

well about the book
5 + 4x - x^2 = M - x^2 + 2nx - n^2
and then add x^2 to both sides of equation,
5 + 4x = M + 2nx - n^2

by comparing coefficients, it means that in order to make this equation valid, you have to have the same coefficient in left hand side and right hand side for x^1, and also for x^0 (note: x^0 = 1 which means the constants have to be equal --> constants = terms that don't have x)
therefore, the coefficient of x^1 on left side is 4 and on the right side is 2n, to have a valid equation, 4 must be equal to 2n...
4 = 2n
n = 2

for x^0 (i.e. the constant) the term on left side is 5 and on the right side are M - n^2
for this equation to be valid 5 must be equal to M - n^2
5 = M - n^2
we already calculated the value of n^2
therefore,
5 = M - 2^2
5 = M - 4
add both sides with 4.
9 = M

hope that helps! :smile:

Related to Solving m - (x-n)^2: Get Help Here

1. What is the purpose of solving m - (x-n)^2?

The purpose of solving m - (x-n)^2 is to find the value of the variable m that satisfies the equation. This can help in understanding the relationship between m and other variables in the equation and can also be used to solve for other unknown values.

2. How do I solve m - (x-n)^2?

To solve m - (x-n)^2, you can use the quadratic formula or complete the square method. First, rearrange the equation to have m on one side and all other terms on the other side. Then, use the appropriate method to solve for m.

3. What is the difference between solving m - (x-n)^2 and solving a regular quadratic equation?

Solving m - (x-n)^2 involves finding the value of a variable (m) that makes the equation true. In a regular quadratic equation, the goal is to find the values of x that satisfy the equation. Additionally, the process of solving these equations may differ depending on the given equation.

4. Can I solve m - (x-n)^2 without using any mathematical formulas?

Yes, it is possible to solve m - (x-n)^2 without using any mathematical formulas. You can use algebraic manipulation techniques, such as expanding and simplifying the equation, to solve for m. However, using mathematical formulas may make the process easier and more efficient.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving m - (x-n)^2?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving m - (x-n)^2 include forgetting to distribute the negative sign, making errors in simplifying the equation, and forgetting to include the square root when using the quadratic formula. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of these potential mistakes to ensure an accurate solution.