Solving Muon Motion: Stopping Distance

In summary, a muon, initially moving at 5 x 10^6 m/s, enters a region and slows down at a rate of 1.25 m/s^2. The question asks for the distance it takes for the muon to stop. By substituting the given values (acceleration, initial velocity, and final velocity of 0) into the equation, the resulting displacement is 1 x 10^13 m. However, there was confusion about the terms "decay" and "stop," and it was later discovered that the given acceleration was incorrect. The correct answer is closer to 0.1 m.
say_physics04

Homework Statement

a muon moving in a straight line enters a region w/ speed of 5 x 10^6 m/s. it then slowed down at a rate of 1.25 m/s^2. how far does the muon take to stop??

Homework Equations

2ad + square of initial velocity = square of final velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

my answer was 1 x 10 ^13 m...
i substituted the given (acceleration, initial velocity, and the final velocity which is 0) to the equation, then i got that displacement...

my prof told me that the answer must be 0.1 m,,
i don't know why,,, is it something about the behavior of muon??
or if isn't,, is there something wrong in the given??

thx ,,, i really need this asap... thanks again!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
have you calculated relativistic + that a muon has a certain life time? (apply time dilation)

what is the exact life span of a muon??
thanks.. i'll try the relativistic effects but I am not sure about the life span of the muon...

you can find by googling hehe

hahaha... thanks, but i want to know the "rightest" answer because there will be a possibility that I'll find "different" lifespans..
please help.. i really need it...
thanks

but all muons do not live exactly the same dude..
the "lifetime" is on average how long time a muon will live before decay..

Have you tried google it? How do you know that you will get different? If you look it up in books, you will get different values there too..

Also what kind of course is this, particle physics? special relativity, or?
this is why "2. Homework Equations " is there, so we who helps know what kind of course it could be.

but when applying the life time of muon, we need to know how far it had traveled before it enters the target.

i've used the 2.2 microseconds lifespan... i always get 11m displacement..
pls help me to get an answer closer to 0.1m

anyways. this is just mechanics, i want to know why my prof's answer is 0.1m
i'm afraid I'm running out of time,, i really need this asap...
thanks for ur answers! pls help me further...

Your original solution is the correct solution to the problem. It says how long to 'stop' the muon. I don't think 'decay' and 'stop' mean the same thing. I would stand your ground with the original solution.

hmm,, thanks to all!
i just got home from school...
and u know what?? there's something wrong at the given! the acceleration is not that low... my prof's mistake!
thanks again

1. What is "Solving Muon Motion: Stopping Distance"?

"Solving Muon Motion: Stopping Distance" refers to the process of calculating the distance a muon, a subatomic particle, is able to travel before coming to a stop. This calculation is important in understanding the properties and behavior of muons and can have applications in various fields of science.

2. Why is it important to solve for the stopping distance of muons?

The stopping distance of muons is important because it helps us understand the behavior of these particles and their interactions with matter. This information can be used to make predictions in particle physics experiments and can also have practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and radiation therapy.

3. How is the stopping distance of muons calculated?

The stopping distance of muons is calculated using a combination of experimental data and theoretical models. The energy and velocity of the muon, as well as the properties of the material it is passing through, are taken into account in the calculation.

4. What factors can affect the stopping distance of muons?

The stopping distance of muons can be affected by several factors, including the energy and velocity of the muon, the density and composition of the material it is traveling through, and any interactions or collisions it may have with other particles. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role in the muon's stopping distance.

5. How does solving for the stopping distance of muons contribute to our understanding of particle physics?

Solving for the stopping distance of muons allows us to better understand the fundamental properties of these particles, such as their mass, charge, and interactions with other particles. This information can then be used to build and refine models of subatomic particles and contribute to our overall understanding of the laws of physics.