Solving non-elementary functions

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of equations that cannot be solved using elementary methods and can only be solved numerically. There is a question about whether there is a proof to support this, or if it is simply because mathematicians have yet to discover a method to solve them. The conversation also considers the possibility of finding new methods in the future, similar to how the method of completing the square was discovered for solving quadratic equations. It is mentioned that solving equations like a^x = x^a requires the use of special functions like Lambert's W.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I'm curious to understand why there are such equations that cannot be solved with elementary methods, but rather only numerically.

e.g. [tex]2^x=x^2[/tex]

Is there a proof that claims that elementary methods cannot be used to solve such an equation, or is it that there could quite possibly be methods to solve these, but they are too complicated and yet to be discovered?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not aware of any such proofs, but it would be tremendous if there were.

But I guess because no matter what operation you will do on the equation you will still get an iterative equation which you cannot go outside it.

I mean usually in numerical analysis, for example your equation we may take log_2 on the equation and receive the equation: [tex]x=2log_2 (x)[/tex] which can only be solved by iterations.
I guess a proof should show that you cannot differentiate the unique solution(s) from the equation, providing that both of them are defined in the same interval, and indeed both of the functions intersect, if I'm not mistaken at both ends (negative and plus).

Yes I would've also found it tremendous that any such legitimate proofs exist but while I always see the words "it can't be solved with elementary functions" I'd also like to see a proof to support this statement. Can't it be solved because mathematicians have yet to find any method of doing so, or is it impossible for some reason, such as how you've said it can only be solved by iterations?

Looking back in history, there would've been a time when linear equations [tex]ax+b=0[/tex] could be solved, however [tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex] were supposedly unsolvable, until the method of completing the square was discovered.
Could we just be in a primitive version of mathematical history that have yet to find links between [tex]a^x-x^a=0[/tex] and many other examples?

Type transcedental equation, and you will find your answer apparently they have closed form solutions but via special functions which is still an approximation.

Mentallic said:
Looking back in history, there would've been a time when linear equations [tex]ax+b=0[/tex] could be solved, however [tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex] were supposedly unsolvable, until the method of completing the square was discovered.
Could we just be in a primitive version of mathematical history that have yet to find links between [tex]a^x-x^a=0[/tex] and many other examples?

Solving a univariate linear equation requires subtraction and division. Solving a univariate quadratic equation requires in addition root extraction.

Similarly, solving a^x = x^a requires Lambert's W (or similar functions). As we gain reasons to solve equations like this support for and knowledge of these special functions will increase.

1. How do you solve non-elementary functions?

To solve non-elementary functions, you need to use advanced mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration, or series expansions. These techniques can help you find an approximate solution or an exact solution in some cases.

2. What are some common examples of non-elementary functions?

Some common examples of non-elementary functions include logarithmic functions, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and hyperbolic functions. These functions cannot be expressed as a finite combination of basic arithmetic operations and elementary functions.

3. Why is it important to solve non-elementary functions?

Non-elementary functions often arise in real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Solving these functions can help us understand and model complex phenomena, make predictions, and find optimal solutions.

4. What strategies can you use to solve non-elementary functions?

Some strategies for solving non-elementary functions include using algebraic manipulation, applying trigonometric identities, using special integration techniques, and using numerical methods such as Newton's method or the bisection method.

5. Are there any limitations to solving non-elementary functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving non-elementary functions. For some functions, it may not be possible to find an exact solution, and we may have to settle for an approximate solution. Additionally, some functions may be so complex that even with advanced techniques, it may not be possible to find a solution.