Solving ODE involving square of first derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Gregory's classical mechanics book, where the desired ODE can be obtained easily. However, due to its non-linear nature, the speaker is having difficulty solving for r(t). They mention trying various methods, but believe there may be a trick they are not aware of. Another person offers a solution using integration and substitution, and the speaker expresses gratitude and the need to improve their math skills.
tsw99

Homework Statement

this is not from a math course, but from Gregory's classical mechanics book prob 2.10
it's easy to obtain the desired ODE
[tex]\dot{r}^{2}=\frac{u^{2}}{a^{2}}(\frac{U^{2}a^{2}}{a^{2}}-r^{2})[/tex]
since it's non-linear, i have a difficult time to solve for r(t)
u, U and a are some constants with unit speed, speed and length resp.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

all methods i know fail, I believe there is some trick that I am not aware of. great appreciate for any help:(

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have can be written as:
[tex]
\dot{r}=\pm\frac{u}{a}\sqrt{U^{2}-r^{2}}
[/tex]
Dividing and integrating shows that:
[tex]
\int\frac{dr}{\sqrt{U^{2}-r^{2}}}=\pm\frac{u}{a}\int dt
[/tex]
The integral can be solved by the substitution:
[tex]
r=U\sin\alpha
[/tex]
I will leave you to slog through the algerbra.

hunt_mat said:
The equation you have can be written as:
[tex]
\dot{r}=\pm\frac{u}{a}\sqrt{U^{2}-r^{2}}
[/tex]
Dividing and integrating shows that:
[tex]
\int\frac{dr}{\sqrt{U^{2}-r^{2}}}=\pm\frac{u}{a}\int dt
[/tex]
The integral can be solved by the substitution:
[tex]
r=U\sin\alpha
[/tex]
I will leave you to slog through the algerbra.

oh...thank you very much!
I think i need to brush up my math skills...edit: in fact i type the ODE wrongly, but the method should be similar

Last edited:

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their corresponding derivatives.

2. What does it mean to solve an ODE involving square of first derivative?

Solving an ODE involving square of first derivative means finding a function that satisfies the equation and its derivatives, when the equation is expressed in terms of the square of the first derivative of the function.

3. What are the common methods for solving ODE involving square of first derivative?

The most common methods for solving ODE involving square of first derivative are separation of variables, substitution, and using special functions such as the Laplace transform or power series solutions.

4. Can all ODE involving square of first derivative be solved analytically?

No, not all ODE involving square of first derivative can be solved analytically. Some equations may require numerical methods to find approximate solutions.

5. What are some practical applications of solving ODE involving square of first derivative?

ODE involving square of first derivative can be used to model physical systems such as motion of a falling object, population growth, and chemical reactions. It also has applications in engineering, economics, and other fields.