Solving Online Motion Problems: Understanding Velocity and Slope

• Thread starter sickphysic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the graph represents velocity in units of m/s. The slope of the graph is 5/4 and the velocity represented is 1.25m/s.
sickphysic
I'm trying to do an online homework, and I think I have the right answer but every time I put it in it says its wrong :(

Take a look..

This is the graph
2iiuy6w.jpg

and then the question is:
What velocity is represented by the graph?
Answer in units of m/s.

I keep putting 1.25m/s because 5/4=1.25 so that's the slope, and the velocity right?

Any help will help.
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sickphysic said:
I'm trying to do an online homework, and I think I have the right answer but every time I put it in it says its wrong :(

Take a look..

This is the graph
2iiuy6w.jpg

and then the question is:
What velocity is represented by the graph?
Answer in units of m/s.

I keep putting 1.25m/s because 5/4=1.25 so that's the slope, and the velocity right?

Any help will help.
thanks.

Where are you getting the slope as 5/4?

First, you will need to multiply out the units on each axis. I don't know why they did it so strangely, but whatever. Re-label the graph in meters and seconds (applying the multiplication factors shown for each axis), and then figure out the rise/run of the graph.

I'm getting the 5/4 cause if each division on the y-axis is 5, and then each division on the x-axis is 4 then the slope is 5/4?
Isn't it?

sickphysic said:
I'm getting the 5/4 cause if each division on the y-axis is 5, and then each division on the x-axis is 4 then the slope is 5/4?
Isn't it?

Multiply each number on the vertical scale by 5. So instead of being 1, 2, 3, ... it's 5, 10, 15,...

Do the similar thing for the horizontal axis. Now it is re-labelled. Now look at how the line starts at (0,0) and goes up to (?,?). That should give you the slope of the line...

This is what you're saying right?

o50psk.jpg

so doesn't that make the slope 5/4?

I got it! lol
I didn't realize that the line didn't cross exactly at the 5,4 point but the 6,7 instead.
thanks (:

Related to Solving Online Motion Problems: Understanding Velocity and Slope

What is a "motion problem"?

A motion problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the movement or change of position of an object over time. It can involve concepts such as speed, velocity, acceleration, and distance.

How do I solve a motion problem?

To solve a motion problem, you first need to identify the variables involved, such as initial and final position, time, speed, and acceleration. Then, you can use equations such as d = vt and v = at to solve for the missing variable.

What are some common mistakes when solving motion problems?

Some common mistakes when solving motion problems include using the wrong equation, not converting units properly, and not considering the direction of motion. It is important to carefully read the problem and double check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

Are there any tips for solving motion problems more efficiently?

One tip for solving motion problems more efficiently is to draw a diagram to visualize the problem. This can help you understand the given information and determine which equations to use. Additionally, make sure to label your variables clearly and show all your work to avoid errors.

Can motion problems be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, motion problems are often used in real-life situations to analyze and predict the movement of objects. For example, they can be used to calculate the time and distance traveled by a car, or the velocity and acceleration of a falling object. Understanding motion problems can also help in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.