Solving perpendicular oscillation problems- lissajous

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving and drawing perpendicular oscillatory systems, specifically in relation to Lissajous figures. The importance of frequency and phase variances is mentioned, as well as the use of trigonometric functions and the MIT Intro. Physics Series textbook by A.P. French for clarification.
SteveDB
solving perpendicular oscillation problems-- lissajous

Hi all.
Ok, I am not getting how we're to solve perpendicular oscillatory systems.
How do the variances in frequency, and phase play into the drawing/solving of these systems?
Oh, and this is not a trig class I'm doing. It's an oscillation/wave class.
Do we solve for the individual trig functions, at various points in time, and mark our points within the rectangle, and then draw our lissajous graph?
Some serious clarification would be appreciated.
For what it's worth, I'm using the MIT Intro. Physics Series, A.P. French-- Vibrations and Waves text.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How we're to solve them? Like we would two independant equations of motion (cuz that's what they are).

How to draw their Lissajous figure? Using the method explained thoroughly by French. If you don't understand it, tell me exactly where/what passage confuses you and I'll try to explain it better.

Hello there,

Solving perpendicular oscillation problems, also known as Lissajous figures, involves understanding the relationship between two perpendicular oscillations. The variances in frequency and phase are important factors in determining the shape and pattern of the Lissajous figure.

To solve these problems, you can start by identifying the equations for the two perpendicular oscillations. These equations will involve trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine, as well as the frequencies and phases of the oscillations.

Next, you can plot points on a rectangular coordinate system using the values from the equations at different points in time. These points will form a pattern, which will eventually become the Lissajous figure.

The key to solving these problems is understanding the relationship between the two oscillations. For example, if the frequencies are the same, the Lissajous figure will be a straight line. If the frequencies are different, the figure will be a closed curve.

I understand that this may seem confusing, but with practice and a deeper understanding of trigonometric functions, you will be able to solve these problems easily. I recommend consulting your textbook and doing some practice problems to get a better grasp on the concepts.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in your oscillation/wave class!

1. What is a Lissajous curve?

A Lissajous curve is a complex geometric figure that is created by plotting the motion of two perpendicular oscillations against each other.

2. How do you solve a perpendicular oscillation problem using Lissajous curves?

To solve a perpendicular oscillation problem using Lissajous curves, you will need to plot the two perpendicular oscillations on a coordinate plane, with one on the x-axis and one on the y-axis. The resulting Lissajous curve will provide insight into the relationship between the two oscillations and can be used to determine their frequencies, phases, and amplitudes.

3. What are the applications of Lissajous curves in science?

Lissajous curves have various applications in science, including in the study of harmonic motion, resonance, and electrical circuits. They are also used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of oscillating systems and to measure the accuracy of mechanical devices such as pendulums and clocks.

4. How do you interpret a Lissajous curve?

A Lissajous curve can be interpreted by looking at its shape, frequency, and phase. The shape of the curve can indicate whether the two oscillations are in phase, out of phase, or in resonance. The frequency of the curve can be used to determine the ratio between the frequencies of the two oscillations, and the phase can give information about the starting point and direction of the oscillations.

5. Can Lissajous curves be used to solve complex oscillation problems?

Yes, Lissajous curves can be used to solve complex oscillation problems as they provide a visual representation of the relationship between two perpendicular oscillations. They can also be used to analyze the behavior of multiple oscillating systems and to identify any patterns or correlations between them.