Solving Probability Questions: Bayes' Formula & Variables

• Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation involves two questions. The first question asks for the probability that a policy holder is a smoker given that they have died, and the second question asks for the probability that a target is hit by all three missiles. The conversation also includes discussions on how to assign variables and calculate probabilities using Bayes' formula.
Maxwell
Hey guys, I'm taking a probability course and I'm having some trouble with 2 questions:

1) Suppose 10% of a company's life insurance policy holders are smokers. The rest are non-smokers. For each non-smoker, the probability of dying during the year is 1% compared to 5% for smokers. Given that a policy holder has died, what is the chance that the policy holder is a smoker?

Ok, now for this one I had a feeling I should use Bayes' formula. The problem I'm having is assigning variables. This is what I did:

A1 = {smoker}
A2 = {non-smoker}
B1 = {smoker dying}
B2 = {non-smoker dying}
C = 10%

Pr{A1} = 10/100 = .1
Pr{A2} = 90/100 = .9
Pr{B1} = 5%
Pr{B2} = 1%

I'm not sure if these are even set up right, let alone how to put them into Bayes' formula. Also, how do I write what I am looking for?

I know that a policy holder died -- The probability that this person was a smoker is 10%. This smoker had a 5% chance of dying during the year.

I'm really stuck, though...

The second problem:

Three missiles, whose probabilities of not hitting a target are 0.3, 0.2, and 0.1, respectively, are fired at a target. Assuming independence, what is the probability that the target is hit by all of the three missiles?

Now for this problem, I assigned a variable to each missile:

b1 = {missile 1}
b2 = {missile 2}
b3 = {missile 3}

Then,

a1 = {hit target}
a2 = {not hitting target}

So,

Pr{b1 | a1} = 0.7
Pr{b1 | a2} = 0.3

Pr{b2 | a1} = 0.8
Pr{b2 | a2} = 0.2

Pr{b3 | a1} = 0.9
Pr{b3 | a2} = 0.1

Now, I think I'm looking for something like Pr(b1 & b2 & b3 | a1). Am I right?

If so, 0.7 x 0.8 x 0.9 = .504

Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxwell said:
I'm not sure if these are even set up right, let alone how to put them into Bayes' formula. Also, how do I write what I am looking for?

I know that a policy holder died -- The probability that this person was a smoker is 10%. This smoker had a 5% chance of dying during the year.

I'm really stuck, though...

If the probability of this person being a smoker is 10%, you just answered the question (hint: that's not the answer).

Try calculating the probability of a smoker dying, and the probability of a non-smoker dying (if you're having trouble, just assume it's a group of ten people).

Then compare the odds of it being a smoker vs. a non-smoker

If so, 0.7 x 0.8 x 0.9 = .504

Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

Yes, this one is correct

Thanks Office_Shredder.

So I'm trying to find the probability of a smoker dying. Pr{B1} = 5% isn't that probability?

I think the probability that a smoker died is: Pr{B1 | A1}

And,

Probability that a non-smoker died: Pr{B2 | A2}

Is this the right way of mathematically stating what I am asking? I think the real problem I'm having with all of the Bayes' formula questions is setting up my variables correctly and then finding the corresponding probabilities.

Related to Solving Probability Questions: Bayes' Formula & Variables

What is Bayes' Formula?

Bayes' Formula is a mathematical equation that helps calculate the probability of an event occurring given prior knowledge or evidence. It is named after the 18th-century statistician Thomas Bayes.

What is the purpose of using Bayes' Formula?

The purpose of using Bayes' Formula is to update the probability of an event based on new evidence or information. It helps us make more accurate predictions or decisions by taking into account prior knowledge or beliefs.

How is Bayes' Formula used in probability questions?

Bayes' Formula is used in probability questions to calculate the conditional probability of an event occurring. It is often used in situations where there is uncertainty or incomplete information, and we want to update our probability estimate based on new evidence.

What are the variables in Bayes' Formula?

The variables in Bayes' Formula are:

• P(A|B): the conditional probability of event A occurring given event B has occurred.
  • P(B|A): the conditional probability of event B occurring given event A has occurred.
  • P(A) and P(B): the marginal probabilities of events A and B occurring, respectively.

What are some real-life applications of Bayes' Formula?

Bayes' Formula has numerous applications in fields such as medicine, finance, and artificial intelligence. Some examples include:

• Medical diagnosis: using prior knowledge of symptoms and test results to update the probability of a patient having a certain disease.
  • Stock market predictions: using past market trends and current economic data to make more accurate predictions about future stock prices.
  • Spam filtering: using the content and sender information of emails to determine the probability of them being spam.