Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Rocket Launch Differential Equations

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    Hi I'm currently working on a project which involves solving the rocket launch differential equations to find the apogee of an orbit. I know the analytical model for the equations as:
    Δu = Isp*g0*ln(mf/me), where Isp is fuel impusle, mf is mass of full tank and me is mass of empty tank, but for this project I need to solve the differential equations in matlab numerically.

I know the general equation as d(M*u)/dt = Fnet = Isp*g0*dmp/dt where dmp is the change in mass of the propellant. I'm just kind of stuck in working around the differential equations to get something I can solve for in matlab. I've tried substituting some differentials for each other in order to get one equation, but I ended up cancelling terms to get something that doesn't make sense to me. I've been using this site to work with the equations: http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/rktpow.html
    Code (Text):
    % Veq = Isp*g0
    % mdot = F/(Isp*g0)
    % mdot = dmp/dt
    % Mdu = Veq*mdot
    % dm = -dmp = -mdot = -F/(Isp*g0)
    % dmp = fnet/veq = fnet/(Isp*go)
    % du = -(Isp(g0)*fnet/(Isp*g0)/M
    Can anyone please give me some help in how to get one or two differential equations to use in matlab? Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted