1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Schrodinger for eingenvalues

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1

Lee

I'm looking to solve schrodingers equation for the bound energy state energy eigenfunctions, for a particle in a 1-D potential well (E<Vo), where;

V(x)= (inf, x<0)
    (0, 0<x<a)
    (Vo, x>a)

so we know when x>a our function is going to be a negative exp, and between 0 and a the function is going to be equal to An.sin(kn.z)? from here can we ahead and starting finding solutions to the eqn?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You found the solution in each particular regions; now you gonna tie them up together using the boundary conditions and continuity conditions of psi (psi must be a continuous function)

for instance, you need that in the limit of psi as x approaches a- equals the limit as psi approaches a+.

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just found this cute Java device for exploring solutions. I probably don't have it totally figured out, but you can model the situation pretty nicely by setting the piecewise constant potentials and choosing the functions in each region. You can't go to infinity, but you can go huge in one region.

From
    http://web.phys.ksu.edu/vqm/AVQM Website/AVQMweb.htm

http://web.phys.ksu.edu/vqm/AVQM Website/WFEApplet.html

I had to close my browser window to restart it if I closed it. Expanded it to full screen it is quite useful.

5. Nov 14, 2006 #4

Lee

so making sure An.sin(kn.a)=exp(-alpha.a) ?

6. Nov 15, 2006 #5

Lee

I think my function for the mid section is wrong, as it will be discontinues if I pick it to be An.sin(kn.a) it shall equal 0 at 0 and a, which is good for the inifite wall to the left (as this is expected) but it that would mean exp(-alpha.a) would have to equal 0.

Can anyone make a better suggestion for the function for 0<x<a? Maybe a exp function?

7. Nov 15, 2006 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Nov 15, 2006 #7

Lee

Perfect. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?