Solving Simultaneous Equations for Confused Students

• Thread starter Hypercase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving a pair of simultaneous equations with different exponents for the same variables. The suggested method involves rearranging the equations and substituting to get a single variable equation, but this may not always be possible or easy to solve. The conversation also mentions the constraints and limitations of finding exact solutions for high degree polynomials.
Hypercase
how can the following pair of simultaneous eqns. be solved

a1X^m +b1Y^n =c1
a2X^m’+b2Y^n’=c2
Please help:frown: [b(]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by m' ? Is it supposed to be the derivative of m?

No by m' I mean that the exponent of X in the first equation is not the same as the second equation.
Here, I've rewritten the equation:
a1X^m +b1Y^n =c1
a2X^p +b2Y^q =c2

So you have
[tex]a_1x^{n_1}+b_1y^{m_1}=c_1[/tex]
and
[tex]a_2x^{n_2}+b_2y^{m_2}=c_2[/tex]
Then
[tex]x=(\frac{c_2-b_2y^{m_2}}{a_2})^{\frac{1}{n_2}}[/tex]
Then you can substitute to get:
[tex]a_1(\frac{c_2-b_2y^{m_2}}{a_2})^{\frac{n_1}{n_2}} + b_1y^{m_1}=c_1[/tex]
which is an equation in a single variable. I'm not sure off the top of my head where to go from here, but that can definitely be solved numerically.

I reached had reached so far, but I noticed that this is not an equation in one variable(duh!). But if the powers were really big it would become a hell of a job. Is there another way or a easier way to proceed from here.

Is there a particular problem that you're trying to solve?

NO I'm thinking about this on a general basis.

Ok, so what are the variables, and what is known?

a1X^m +b1Y^n =c1
a2X^p +b2Y^q =c2

That is the eqn.
X,Y are the variables.
Now please help me solve it

Sorry, but we can't help you. Not in general. You can rearrange all you want but, in general, you're going to end up with some high degree polynomial in one variable for which there are no general methods of solution (you can do up to degree 4 easily, degree 5 with a bit of ingenuity, but beyond that you're hoping for luck). I mean of course some nice exact algebraic solution. You could do it numerically and get approximate answers.

You can get various constraints on the solutions (are they integers etc) but the methods would be ad hoc.

Sorry, but that's what maths looks like in real life.

Related to Solving Simultaneous Equations for Confused Students

What is simultaneous confusion?

Simultaneous confusion is a phenomenon where an individual experiences confusion or difficulty in understanding multiple things happening at the same time.

What causes simultaneous confusion?

Simultaneous confusion can be caused by a variety of factors, including sensory overload, conflicting information, and cognitive overload.

How does simultaneous confusion affect individuals?

Simultaneous confusion can lead to feelings of stress, frustration, and difficulty in decision-making or problem-solving. It can also impact learning and memory.

What are some strategies for managing simultaneous confusion?

Strategies for managing simultaneous confusion include breaking down tasks into smaller, more manageable steps, taking breaks, and focusing on one thing at a time.

Is simultaneous confusion a permanent condition?

No, simultaneous confusion is not a permanent condition. It can be managed and improved through various strategies and techniques.