Solving Stress in Bicycle Chain: A Guide for NDO

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the stress in the pin and link of a bicycle chain using the average shearing stress formula and the F.S formula. The suggested approach is to find the tension force in the chain and the cross sectional area of the pin and link at its narrowest point. This problem is for a first year university mechanics course.
NDO

Homework Statement

See attachment for the problem. or visit the link http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac286/NDO_02/Capture.jpg

Basically calculate the stress in the pin and the link in a bicycle chain.

Homework Equations

the average shearing stress = P/A = F/A
i think the chain is made of 2 shearing stresses

F.S = ultimate stress/ allowable stress

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone help. I have no idea where to start. can someone give me a pointer

cheers NDO

Attachments

• Assignment_9.pdf
    498.9 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attachment is not yet approved but it looks like one of your class mates has reposted the exact same question here : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=347571

Perhaps a moderator should merge these two threads.

You should both start by :

1. Finding an expression for the tension force in the chain as a function of the crank length, sprocket radius and pedal load.

2. Find the cross sectional area of both the pin and the link at it's overall narrowest point (make sure you include the pin hole when finding the narrowest point).

Do the above and the problem should be fairly straight forward.

BTW. What grade/subject course work is this?

first year uni

mechanics

Last edited:
with the cross sectional area of the link

do u just calculate it using the width between the links which is the narrowest part or should i use the area around the hole for the pin or should i treat it as a composite shape

cheers
NDO

1. What is the main cause of stress in bicycle chains?

The main cause of stress in bicycle chains is frequent use and lack of maintenance. When a bicycle chain is not cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted regularly, dirt and grime can build up and cause the chain to wear down and stretch. This can lead to increased tension and stress on the chain, which can ultimately result in breakage or poor performance.

2. How can I prevent stress in my bicycle chain?

To prevent stress in your bicycle chain, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the chain. This will help remove dirt and debris that can cause wear and tear. Additionally, make sure to properly adjust the tension of the chain and replace it when it becomes worn or damaged. Regular maintenance and proper care can greatly reduce stress on the chain and prolong its lifespan.

3. How do I know if my bicycle chain is under too much stress?

There are a few signs that may indicate your bicycle chain is under too much stress. These include difficulty shifting gears, excessive noise or grinding when pedaling, and a visibly loose or sagging chain. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to inspect your chain and address any issues before they worsen.

4. Can I fix a stressed bicycle chain on my own?

In some cases, it may be possible to fix a stressed bicycle chain on your own. This can include cleaning and lubricating the chain, adjusting the tension, or even replacing certain parts. However, if the chain is significantly worn or damaged, it may be best to take it to a professional bike mechanic for repair or replacement.

5. Is it safe to ride with a stressed bicycle chain?

Riding with a stressed bicycle chain can be dangerous, as it can lead to sudden chain breakage or poor performance, which can result in accidents or injuries. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain your bicycle chain to ensure it is in good working condition. If you notice any signs of stress, it is best to address them before riding to ensure your safety and the longevity of your chain.