Solving Summation Question: Alternating Series Test

• Thread starter Hummingbird25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, it is suggested that the given sum converges according to the alternating series test. However, there is no definite numerical value for the sum. The next logical step would be to use a specific test, such as breaking up the summands or using a geometric series, to find the sum.
Hummingbird25
HELP: A summation question

Hi

Given the sum

[tex]\sum _{p=0} ^{\infty} (-1)^p \frac{4p+1}{4^p}[/tex]

I have tried something please tell if I'm on the right track

Looking at the alternating series test

(a) [tex]1/(4^{p+1}) < (1/(4^p))[/tex]

(b) [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{p \to \infty } b_p = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{p \to \infty } \frac{1}{{4^p }} = 0[/tex]

Then according to the test this allows me to write [tex]\sum _{p = 0} ^{\infty} 4^{-p} = 4/3[/tex]

Can anybody please verify if I'm heading in the right direction on this? Or am I totally wrong?

Sincerely Yours

Hummingbird

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that you've shown this series converges, but I don't see where you're getting that you can say it converges to [itex]\frac{4}{3}[/itex]. The Alternating Series Test can show conditional convergence, but not a numerical value to the best of my knowledge.

Okay thanks I can see that now,

but what would be the next logical step to find the sum of this series? Should I use a specific test?

Sincerely Yours
Hummingbird25

p.s. Since it converges, then |1/(4^p)| < 1 ??

Jameson said:
I agree that you've shown this series converges, but I don't see where you're getting that you can say it converges to [itex]\frac{4}{3}[/itex]. The Alternating Series Test can show conditional convergence, but not a numerical value to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:
Hummingbird25 said:
but what would be the next logical step to find the sum of this series? Should I use a specific test?

This is another of those that can be broken up with one of the summands being of the form [tex]px^p[/tex]. Remember the method I suggested in your other thread ?

Hello and the other sum being

(-1)^p ?

Sincerely Hummingbird25

Curious3141 said:
This is another of those that can be broken up with one of the summands being of the form [tex]px^p[/tex]. Remember the method I suggested in your other thread ?

Hummingbird25 said:
Hello and the other sum being

(-1)^p ?

Sincerely Hummingbird25

No, the other summand is [tex](-4)^{-p}[/tex].

That's just a geometric series.

Related to Solving Summation Question: Alternating Series Test

1. What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a method used to determine whether or not a given infinite series converges. It is specifically used for series where the terms alternate in sign.

2. How do you apply the Alternating Series Test?

To apply the Alternating Series Test, you must first check that the terms of the series alternate in sign. Then, you must check that the absolute value of the terms decreases as the index increases. Finally, you must show that the limit of the terms as the index approaches infinity is equal to 0.

3. What is the importance of the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is important because it provides a simple and efficient way to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It is especially useful for alternating series where other tests may not apply.

4. Can the Alternating Series Test be used to prove absolute convergence?

No, the Alternating Series Test can only be used to prove conditional convergence. It cannot be used to prove absolute convergence, as there are cases where a series may satisfy the conditions of the test but still diverge.

5. Are there any limitations to the Alternating Series Test?

Yes, the Alternating Series Test can only be applied to series where the terms alternate in sign. It also cannot be used for series with non-decreasing terms or when the limit of the terms is not equal to 0. Additionally, it does not provide information about the rate of convergence.