Solving the Brachistochrone problem with friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the parametric form of the brachistochrone curve on the Wolfram Alpha page. The individual is seeking help in understanding how the solution to the differential equation obtained from applying the Euler-Lagrange equation is obtained. They also ask for clarification on the next step, specifically how setting dy/dx = cot(theta/2) leads to the given parametric forms for x and y. The individual also mentions attempting to solve the differential equation using an integrating factor but believes it is not possible due to the non-linearity of the equation. They express hope for finding an alternative solution method.
physics_cosmos
This Wolfram Alpha Page contains a derivation of the parametric form of the brachistochrone curve that result from either assuming friction or its absence.

I am asking for help understanding how the solution to the differential equation obtained from applying the Euler-Lagrange equation to the integrand of the the integral representing the total time of descent is obtained. This differential equation can be found on step (30) of the page. I am asking for help in understanding the next step, how setting dy / dx = cot(theta/2) results in the given parametric forms for x and y (in terms of theta), as given in steps (32) and (33).

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that step simply choosing an integrating factor that fits the differential equation you're trying to solve?

jedishrfu said:
Is that step simply choosing an integrating factor that fits the differential equation you're trying to solve?

I don't believe the differential equation is linear, or resolvable into linear form, so I don't think that that would help me get to a solution. I hope you can help me find another way, though.

Last edited:

What is the Brachistochrone problem with friction?

The Brachistochrone problem with friction is a mathematical problem that involves finding the path of shortest time between two points, taking into account the effects of friction. It was first posed by Swiss mathematician Johann Bernoulli in 1696.

Why is solving the Brachistochrone problem with friction important?

Solving the Brachistochrone problem with friction has important applications in engineering and physics, as it helps to optimize the path of motion for objects with friction, such as a roller coaster or a ball rolling down a curved surface.

What is the difference between solving the Brachistochrone problem with and without friction?

Without friction, the path of shortest time is a simple straight line. However, when friction is involved, the path becomes more complex and may involve curves or loops in order to minimize the time taken.

What are some methods for solving the Brachistochrone problem with friction?

There are several methods for solving the Brachistochrone problem with friction, including the calculus of variations, the principle of least action, and the use of differential equations. Each method has its own advantages and limitations.

What are some real-life examples of the Brachistochrone problem with friction?

Real-life examples of the Brachistochrone problem with friction include designing roller coasters, optimizing the path of a ball rolling down a curved surface, and determining the trajectory of a spacecraft entering a planet's atmosphere. It also has applications in fields such as robotics, where minimizing the time taken for a robot to complete a task is important.