Solution to Brachistochrone Problem

Can anybody post a full solution of the Brachistochrone problem provided by Newton (with full explanations) ?

Or, any source about the same would be much helpful.

Thank you in advance !

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Can anybody post a full solution of the Brachistochrone problem provided by Newton (with full explanations) ?

Or, any source about the same would be much helpful.

Thank you in advance !
Have you tried Googling your thread title? :smile:

Have you tried Googling your thread title? :smile:
Yes. But, I don't think I understand the solution of Newton provided in wikipedia.
:blushing:

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
The short answer to this is no. We can try to help you understand how to solve this problem, but you still have to do the work.

I don't think I understand the solution of Newton provided in wikipedia.
What are you having trouble understanding?

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Yes. But, I don't think I understand the solution of Newton provided in wikipedia.
:blushing:
If you can describe what you are having trouble understanding then we can probably help.

The short answer to this is no. We can try to help you understand how to solve this problem, but you still have to do the work.
LOL The proof is already there. All I need is a good resource to understand it.

What are you having trouble understanding?
Pretty much everything. I think I understand the Fermat's principle method (till the DE). But, no solution of the DE is provided in wikipedia to conclude that it is indeed a cycloid.

Mind referring a source ?

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
The proof is already there. All I need is a good resource to understand it.
The best way to understand it is to solve it yourself. Having a known solution as a guide is often helpful, yes.

I think I understand the Fermat's principle method (till the DE). But, no solution of the DE is provided in wikipedia to conclude that it is indeed a cycloid.
Which Wikipedia article are you looking at?

A.T.
Science Advisor
This might help:

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
LOL The proof is already there. All I need is a good resource to understand it.
I'm confused. If we typed out the proof - which would be the same one in Wikipedia - how would that help you better understand it?