Solving the Ice Block Bullet Problem: Calculating Melting Quantity"

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a lead bullet fired into a large block of ice at different temperatures, and the goal is to determine the quantity of ice that will melt due to the transfer of energy from the bullet. The total energy change of the bullet is calculated using its specific heat and kinetic energy. Since the ice is assumed to remain at 0 C, the final temperature of both the bullet and ice is also 0 C. The energy transferred from the bullet to the ice can then be used to determine the amount of ice melted using water's latent heat of fusion. The negative kinetic energy and subtraction of the transfered energy from the total energy change are due to the conservation of energy principle.
nemzy
i am stuck on this problem:

a 3.9 g lead bullet at 31.8 C is fired at a speed of 279 m/s into a large block of ice at 0 C, in which it becomes embedded. what is the quantity of ice that melts??

well all i know is that i can find the specific heat and kinetic energy of the bullet, but where do i go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
So when the ice and the bullet come to thermal equilibrium their temperatures will be identical, let's call this temperature [tex]T^*[/tex]. Also, from conservation of energy we know that the energy lost by the bullet will be gained by the ice in the form of heat. Ok, so let's write the total energy change of the bullet.

[tex]\Delta E_{bullet} = -\frac{1}{2}mv^2 - Q_{transfer} = -\frac{1}{2}mv^2 - m c_{Pb} \ \Delta T[/tex]​

Here, [tex]c_{Pb}[/tex] is the specific heat of lead measured in units of Joules/kg C and [tex]\Delta T = T^* - T_{bullet}^{i} = T^* - 31.8^0 C[/tex]

Now here is where a trick comes in. Since the problem states that it is a "large block" of ice, we can assume that the temperature of the block of ice doesn't change. That is, the final temperature of both the bullet and block of ice is 0 C. Thus, [tex]T^* = 0 C[/tex].

From conservation of energy, [tex]\Delta E_{ice} = -\Delta E_{bullet}[/tex]. Now the problem is basically finished. You know how much energy was transferred from the bullet to the ice. To determine how much ice was melted (that is, went from solid water at 0 C to liquid water at 0 C), you must use water's latent heat of fusion.

why is kinetic energy negative, and why do u subtract the Qtransfer? shouldn't you add it to find the total energy change?

What is the best way to ask for help on a problem?

The best way to ask for help on a problem is to be specific about what you need help with and provide any relevant information or details about the problem. It is also helpful to explain what you have already tried and what steps you have taken to solve the problem.

Why is it important to seek help when facing a difficult problem?

Seeking help when facing a difficult problem can help you gain new perspectives and insights that you may not have considered. It can also save you time and frustration by receiving guidance from someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter.

How can I find the right person to help me with my problem?

You can find the right person to help you with your problem by reaching out to your colleagues, mentors, or online communities related to your area of study. It is important to do some research and find someone who has expertise and experience in the specific problem you are facing.

Should I ask for help immediately or try to solve the problem on my own first?

It is always a good idea to try to solve the problem on your own first, as it can help you learn and develop problem-solving skills. However, if you are stuck or have been trying for a while without success, it is okay to ask for help. Just make sure to explain what you have already tried and what specific aspect of the problem you need help with.

What are some ways to effectively communicate my problem when asking for help?

When asking for help, it is important to clearly and concisely communicate your problem. Some effective ways to do this include providing a brief summary of the problem, explaining any relevant background information, and asking specific questions. It can also be helpful to provide any necessary data or code related to the problem.