Solving the Mystery of an Electrical Toy Car's Power

In summary: The friction mentioned is the opposing force that acts in the opposite direction of motion, not the force that propels the car forward.In summary, the question asks for the average power of an electric toy car going up an inclined plane with constant speed, given that the friction acting on the car is half of its weight. The correct answer is B, mgv, which is derived by recognizing that the friction mentioned is the opposing force, not the propelling force, and thus the power is calculated using the formula fv, equal to mg(sin30°)v, or 1/2 mgv. While this may seem counterintuitive, it is due to the fact that contact friction is not considered to do work.
tsw99

Homework Statement

I encountered this past exam paper question in Hong Kong when I was giving tutorial to a high school student. I am confused with the answer provided by the official authority. The question is (in exact wordings):

An electrical toy car of mass m goes up an inclined plane of inclination 30° with constant speed v. The friction acting on the car is half of the weight of the car. What is the average power of the car?
A. 1/2 mgv B. mgv C. 3/2 mgv D. 2mgv

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The friction f provides by the ground to propel the car is exactly canceled by the component of weight down the inclined plane, hence the power is fv which is equal to mg(sin30°)v=1/2 mgv which is A. However the official answer is B. I have no idea how to arrive at the answer B and I believe the authority must have their own grounds. I even think that B is a "trap" choice when I first read this question.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like "the friction acting on the car" here refers to friction that is retarding the motion of the car, and not the friction you mention that is propelling the car forward.

Hope that helps.

Redbelly98 said:
It sounds like "the friction acting on the car" here refers to friction that is retarding the motion of the car, and not the friction you mention that is propelling the car forward.

Hope that helps.

Yours is a probable answer. Does that mean the car is skidding up the incline? So the friction does not provide the force to travel upward?
Frankly speaking, I never saw an electric toy car travels in this way. I believe it is a poorly set question.

Generally speaking, contact friction, such as between the tire and the ground is not considered to do work.

The friction acting to impede the car as it goes up the ramp would likely be from the non-driven wheel-axle system and perhaps some piece of the car dragging on the ground.

tsw99 said:
Yours is a probable answer. Does that mean the car is skidding up the incline? So the friction does not provide the force to travel upward?
Frankly speaking, I never saw an electric toy car travels in this way. I believe it is a poorly set question.
SammyS provided a good explanation, so I'll just add that no, I did not mean the car is skidding. Friction between the wheel and ground does provide the force to propel the car, however that is not the friction being referred to in the problem statement.

1. How does an electrical toy car get its power?

An electrical toy car gets its power from a battery or a power supply. The battery or power supply provides the electrical energy needed to power the car's motor and move the car.

2. What type of battery does an electrical toy car use?

The type of battery used in an electrical toy car can vary, but most commonly it uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Some cars may also use alkaline or nickel-metal hydride batteries.

3. How does the motor in an electrical toy car work?

The motor in an electrical toy car works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. The battery or power supply provides electricity to the motor, which then uses magnets and electromagnets to create rotational motion that moves the car.

4. What is the role of the wiring in an electrical toy car?

The wiring in an electrical toy car serves as the pathway for the flow of electricity from the battery or power supply to the motor. It also connects the motor to the wheels, allowing the rotational motion to be transferred into forward or backward movement.

5. Can an electrical toy car be powered by solar energy?

Yes, it is possible for an electrical toy car to be powered by solar energy. Some toy cars come with built-in solar panels that can harness energy from the sun and convert it into electricity to power the car's motor. However, the car may also still require a battery for storage of the solar energy.