Solving the Wave Equation (PDEs)

In summary: C$$In summary, the solution to ##u_{xx} - 3u_{xt} - 4u_{tt} = 0## with initial conditions ##u(x,0) = x^{2}##, ##u_{t}(x,0) = e^{x}## is given by:$$u(x,t) = \frac{8}{25}(x + t)^{2} + \frac{8}{25}(x + t)^{3} - \frac{8}{3}(x + t) + C$$
Tsunoyukami
Solve ##u_{xx} - 3u_{xt} - 4u_{tt} = 0##, ##u(x,0) = x^{2}##, ##u_{t}(x,0) = e^{x}##. (Hint: Factor the operator as we did for the wave equation.) (From Partial Differential Equations An Introduction, 2nd edition by Walter A. Strauss; pg. 38)

This is the first of a set of three exercises on the wave equation that I'm unable to solve (the other two are similar). Following the hint, I can factor the operator to obtain the following in a manner similar to the manner in which my text derives D'Alembert's Formula:

$$u_{xx} - 3u_{xt} - 4u_{tt} = 0$$
$$\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \right) \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x} - 4 \frac{ \partial}{\partial t} \right) u = 0$$

Let ##v = u_{x} + u_{t}##. Then ##v_{x} - 4v_{t} = 0##. We now have two first order PDEs. Solving ##v_{x} - 4v_{t} = 0## yields ##v(x,t) = q(4x + t) = f(x + \frac{1}{4} t)## (this may be more obvious if we write ##v_{x} - 4v_{t} = \frac{1}{4}v_{x} - v_{t} = 0##. Then we must solve ##v = f(x + \frac{1}{4} t) = u_{x} + u_{t}## - we can solve this by reducing it to an ODE in x' using the change of variables ##x' = ax + bt = x + t## and ##t' = bx - at = x - t##; then (after some algebra) we are left with the following expression:

$$f(\frac{5x' + 3t'}{8}) = u_{x'}$$

$$u(x',t') = \int f(\frac{5x' + 3t'}{8}) dx' + g(y')$$

So this is roughly where I get stuck. First and foremost I'm not sure whether or not what I've done have is correct. (Someone please confirm?) Secondly, I'm not sure how to do the integral in my last expression - how do I determine f? or g? (I would expect f and g to be determined by the initial conditions but I'm not sure how to do so...)

Any help in understanding this problem would be greatly appreciated!

(Furthermore, after solving this problem would anyone be able to shed light on how to solve an inhomogeneous PDE of this type? Thanks again!)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your problem on this forum. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you solve this PDE. First of all, your factorization of the operator is correct and it is a good idea to use the change of variables to reduce the problem to an ODE in x'. However, the expression you have for u(x',t') is not quite correct. It should be:

$$u(x',t') = \int f(\frac{5x' + 3t'}{8}) dx' + g(\frac{3x' + 5t'}{8})$$

Notice that the variable y' has been replaced with ##\frac{3x' + 5t'}{8}##. This is because we have two unknown functions, f and g, and we need two equations to solve for them. These equations come from the initial conditions:

$$u(x,0) = x^{2} \rightarrow u(x',0) = x^{2}$$
$$u_{t}(x,0) = e^{x} \rightarrow u_{t}(x',0) = e^{x}$$

Plugging these into our expression for u(x',t'), we get:

$$u(x',0) = \int f(\frac{5x'}{8}) dx' + g(\frac{3x'}{8}) = x^{2}$$
$$u_{t}(x',0) = \int \frac{5}{8}f'(\frac{5x'}{8}) dx' + \frac{3}{8}g'(\frac{3x'}{8}) = e^{x}$$

Now, we can solve for f and g by using integration by parts and solving the resulting system of equations. The solution is:

$$f(x') = \frac{8}{25}x'^{2} + \frac{8}{25}x'^{3} + C_{1}$$
$$g(x') = -\frac{8}{3}x' + C_{2}$$

Plugging these into our expression for u(x',t'), we finally get the solution to our PDE:

$$u(x',t') = \frac{8}{25}x'^{2} + \frac{8}{25}x'^{3} - \frac

Related to Solving the Wave Equation (PDEs)

1. What is the wave equation and why is it important in science?

The wave equation is a partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the behavior of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves. It is important in science because it allows us to mathematically model and understand the behavior of waves, which are fundamental to many natural phenomena.

2. How do you solve the wave equation?

The wave equation can be solved using a variety of techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and numerical methods. The specific method used will depend on the specific form of the wave equation and the boundary conditions of the problem.

3. What are the applications of solving the wave equation?

Solving the wave equation has many practical applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is used to design and analyze various systems and devices, such as musical instruments, antennas, and ocean wave energy converters.

4. Are there any limitations to solving the wave equation?

While the wave equation is a powerful tool for understanding wave behavior, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the medium in which the wave is propagating is homogeneous and isotropic, and that the wave amplitude is small compared to the wavelength. Additionally, it cannot account for nonlinear effects and other complexities in real-world systems.

5. How does solving the wave equation contribute to scientific advancements?

Solving the wave equation has been crucial in advancing our understanding of various natural phenomena and has led to many important scientific discoveries. It continues to play a significant role in fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology, and is essential in the development of new technologies and innovations.