1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving two equations

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody, I am trying to find the solution to this system of equations for a bigger physics problem:

h+k+l=2n+1 with n=0,1,2,3...
    ei(π/2)(h+k+l)+ei(π/2)(3h+3k+l)+ei(π/2)(3h+k+3l)+ei(π/2)(h+3k+3l)=0

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

Ihave tried to solve it by taking the common factor ei(π/2) out and trying to solve
    e(h+k+l)+e(3h+3k+l)+e(3h+k+3l)+e(h+3k+3l)=0 by using h+k+l=0; then, I arrive to 1+e2k+2h+e2h+2l+e2k+2l=0.

From here I don't know how to keep going, so if anybody could point me what to do next it wolud be very helpfull.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is a factor of ei(π/2)+x, not of ei(π/2)x.

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

To make these equal to zero, you need to enforce conditions on the periodic functions--both real and imaginary.
    ##\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} ) + \cos( \frac{ \pi(3h+3k+l)}{2} )+\cos( \frac{ \pi(3h+k+3l)}{2} )+\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+3k+3l)}{2} ) =0##
    and
    ##\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} ) + \sin( \frac{ \pi(3h+3k+l)}{2} )+\sin( \frac{ \pi(3h+k+3l)}{2} )+\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+3k+3l)}{2} ) =0.##

From these, you should be able to say something about the cases where this must be true.

5. Oct 8, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Think of these as :
    ##\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} ) + \cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} +(h+k)\pi )+\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2}+ (h+l)\pi )+\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2}+(k+l)\pi ) =0##
    and
    ##\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} ) + \sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} +(h+k)\pi )+\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2}+ (h+l)\pi )+\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2}+(k+l)\pi ) =0.##

6. Oct 8, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please do not use all bold fonts for your solution; it looks like you are yelling at us!
    Mod note: Removed excess bold font

Anyway, if you let ##m = 2n + 1##, and if you note that ##h+k+l = m## implies
    [tex] \frac{i \pi}{2} (3h+3k+l) = \frac{i \pi}{2} (3h + 3k + 3l - 2l) = \frac{i \pi}{2} 3m - i \pi l, [/tex]
    and so forth, you get a much simpler problem, especially if you multiply through by ##e^{-3 m \pi i/2}##.

I would suggest you look at some of the initial cases ##m = 1, 3, 5, \ldots## separately, until you have gained sufficient insight into the nature of the solution for general odd ##m##.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
  7. Oct 11, 2015 #6
    Thank you very much for your anwsers, guess I will be able to proper solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted