Solving Vector Equation: Obtain m from F=ma

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the question was about obtaining a general expression for mass in a vector equation such as F = ma. The conversation discussed how to handle the division of vectors in vector algebra and came to the conclusion that the mass can be expressed as the scalar product of the net force and acceleration divided by the squared magnitude of acceleration. It was also noted that if the net force and acceleration are collinear, the mass can be expressed simply as the magnitude of the force divided by the magnitude of acceleration.
Mr Davis 97
I have a question. Given a vector equation such as F = ma, how can we obtain a general expression for m, the mass? If the equation was scalar, this could easily be done by dividing F by a; however, we are dealing with vectors, and, to my knowledge, a vector divided by another vector is not defined in vector algebra. Therefore, how can we obtain a general expression for m?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could always just write [tex]\mathbf{F}=m \mathbf{a} \implies \mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{a} = m \mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{a} \implies \mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{a} = m a^2 \implies m = \frac{\mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{a}}{a^2}.[/tex]

But the acceleration and the net force are always in the same direction. So the dot product is just the scalar product of the magnitudes.

Last edited:
Take any component of F and a and you have ## F_{x_i} = m a_{x_i} ##.

MrAnchovy said:
Take any component of F and a and you have ## F_{x_i} = m a_{x_i} ##.
Either pick a non-zero component or, better yet, divide the magnitudes. As long as F and a are collinear (as they must be), this will give the right answer.

Likes Mr Davis 97
For the directions of ##F## and ##a## are the same, we can get
$$\mathbf{F}=m\mathbf{a}\Rightarrow F\hat{e}=ma\hat{e}\Rightarrow F=ma \Rightarrow m=\frac{F}{a}.$$

tommyxu3 said:
For the directions of ##F## and ##a## are the same, we can get
$$\mathbf{F}=m\mathbf{a}\Rightarrow F\hat{e}=ma\hat{e}\Rightarrow F=ma \Rightarrow m=\frac{F}{a}.$$
That last would be better written [itex]\frac{|F|}{|a|}[/itex]

Sorry I used ##\mathbf{F}## as the vector force and ##F## as the magnitude of the force.

Oh, I see. So you were right all along!

Related to Solving Vector Equation: Obtain m from F=ma

1. How do you solve for m in the equation F=ma?

To solve for m in this equation, you need to divide both sides by a. This will leave you with m = F/a. This is known as isolating the variable m.

2. What does each variable in the equation F=ma represent?

F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. This equation is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration.

3. What are the units for each variable in the equation F=ma?

The unit for force is typically measured in Newtons (N), the unit for mass is measured in kilograms (kg), and the unit for acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can this equation be used to solve for any of the variables if the other two are known?

Yes, this equation can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables if the other two are known. For example, if you know the force and mass, you can solve for acceleration by rearranging the equation to a = F/m.

5. How is this equation applied in real-life situations?

This equation is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the force required to accelerate a vehicle or determining the acceleration of an object due to gravity. It is also used in engineering and physics to design and analyze structures and machines.