Exploring Antiderivatives: Solving for Unknown Functions

In summary: PIn summary, the conversation discusses two questions, one involving simplifying an integral and the other involving finding the value of a function at a specific point. The first question is solved by using basic integration rules and the second one is solved by finding the total change between 0 and 15 using the graph of the derivative. Both methods yield the same answer of 25.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

Q1.
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5933/17857219ur6.jpg

Q2.
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8133/32665282he1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to go about either of the two.
In the second one I know that g(0)=100, g'(0)=-10 and g'(15)=0, but have no idea how you would be able to use these go get g(15)

:confused: :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1 Simplify the integral using all those basic rules. The integral of a constant times a function is equal to a constant times the integral of the function. And the sum of the integrals is equal to the integral of the sum.
[tex]
$ \int_{-1}^{1}(3f(x)-g(x))dx = 3\int_{-1}^{1}f(x) dx - \int_{-1}^{1} g(x) dx
= 6-\int_{-1}^{1} g(x)\\6-\int_{-1}^{1} g(x) = 12\\
\int_{-1}^{1} g(x) = -6\\ $ [/tex]

Last edited:
whoops! I posted the wrong question. Thanks anyway for the help!

Here's the one I was supposed to post..

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6145/70949891jf2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex] let $ u=x^2,\frac{du}{dx}=2x $\\
$ xdx =\frac{1}{2}du $\\
when x =0, u=0\\
when x =2, u=4\\

$ \int_0^2 xg(x^2)dx=\int_0^4 \frac{1}{2} g(u) du = \frac{1}{2}*16=8$[/tex]

Thanks a lot of sorting that one out! :approve:

Now for that dreaded antidiv. graph..:grumpy:

I'll take a guess and say that the answer is 25, the curved section of the graph is basically a distraction. You can find the total change between 0 and 15 by finding the area under the derivative graph for this interval. It's equal to -75. As g(0) = 100 it follows that g(15) = 100 -75 =25.

gunstar-red said:
I'll take a guess and say that the answer is 25, the curved section of the graph is basically a distraction. You can find the total change between 0 and 15 by finding the area under the derivative graph for this interval. It's equal to -75. As g(0) = 100 it follows that g(15) = 100 -75 =25.

hmmm, I'm really clueless, but the theory behind your answer seems like the most logical/correct understanding I have heard so far.

As gunstar-red said, the "looping" part at the end is irrelevant since you are only asked to go up to x= 15. The graph before that is a straight line from (0, -10) to (15, 0). Although it is harder than what he suggested, you can fairly easily write out the equation for g'(x) and integrate to find g(x).

I still get 25 doing it your way HallsofIvy.
g'(x)=2/3x-10
g(x)=x^3/3-10x+c
g(0)=100
.:100=c
g(x)=x^3/3-10x+100
g(15)=75-150+100=25

I think this is because they are in essence the same process.

g'(x)=f(x)
g(x)=F(x)+c when x = 0, g(0)=100
100=F(0)+c
c=100-F(0)
so g(x)=F(x) - F(0) +100
and g(15) =F(15) - F(0) +100
[tex] $ g(15) = \int_0^{15} g'(x) dx +100 = -75 +100 = 25$ [/tex]

Yes, of course, you get the same thing! And, yes, they are basically the same.

HallsofIvy, your method makes a lot more sense to me solely because there's more math and less theory!

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the opposite of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function as its result. In simpler terms, it is the reverse process of differentiation.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a function?

The process of finding an antiderivative is called integration. There are various integration techniques, such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution, that can be used to find the antiderivative of a function. It is important to note that the antiderivative of a function is not unique, as it can have different constants of integration.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. The result of a definite integral is a single value, while the result of an indefinite integral is a family of functions that differ only by a constant. Definite integrals are used to find the area under a curve, whereas indefinite integrals are used to find antiderivatives.

4. Can all functions have an antiderivative?

No, not all functions have an antiderivative. For a function to have an antiderivative, it must be continuous over its entire domain. Discontinuous functions, such as the Dirichlet function, do not have antiderivatives. Additionally, some functions, such as the exponential integral, do not have an elementary antiderivative and require special functions to represent their antiderivative.

5. How is the antiderivative related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. This theorem connects the concepts of integration and differentiation, showing that they are inverse operations of each other. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used extensively in various applications.