Exploring the Relationship between Force and Time in a Domino Effect Experiment

• Thread starter whatwasthat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiments
In summary, the conversation is about an experiment with dominos where the setup consisted of 20 dominos placed with a 3 cm distance between each, a mobile top attached to the dominos through a pulley system and weights used to control the initial force. The time taken for all 20 dominos to fall was recorded and a graph of force vs 1/time was plotted. The individual also shares their equation for calculating the force, but asks for help in determining the correct equation.
whatwasthat
Hi
I did an experiment on dominos and came up with a set up.
The set up: I placed 20 dominos one after another with a space of 3 cm in between each along a meter scale.
The domino box had mobile top which placed right next to the dominos such that when upward force is applied it would hit the dominos and starts "the domino effect" .
The string attached to the mobile top passed through two pulley systems and the other end was attached to different weights (to control the initial force applied to the dominos).
So when the weights were allowed to fall the top of the box moved forward applying the force on the dominos.
The time taken for all 20 dominos to fall was taken. I also took down all the other details such as the weight of all the dominos and also, the weight of each of the dominos.

So now I have the force applied and the time taken for the dominos to fall. I plotted a graph of force vs 1/time , which is a straight line.

But while trying to come up with the equation to relate time, velocity of the dominos for different weights and force , is where I believe I am going wrong
I did the following :
assuming that the intial speed is = 0 of the dominos

F = m (weight used)* g
momentum (p) of the dominos = (mass of the dominos)*( change in speed)
p = m'dv
F= dp/dt
F= m'dv/dt
Fdt= m'dv
But this equation does not seem correct
can you please help me out because i need to submit the lab report by wednesday

Physics news on Phys.org

I have no idea how to help you out because you didn't really say what you needed help with, but maybe this will help?

F=dp/dt
F = d(mv)/dt
F = vdm/dt + mdv/dt
your dominoes shouldn't be losing mass so the first term goes away
F = m dv/dt
F = ma

yeah ... i just need some help in coming towards the equation.. so yeah it helps thanks :D

1. What is the purpose of conducting experiments on dominos?

The purpose of conducting experiments on dominos is to study the principles of force, motion, and energy. It can also be used to understand how objects interact with each other and how they fall in a predictable manner.

2. How do you set up an experiment with dominos?

To set up an experiment with dominos, you will need a flat surface, a large number of dominos, and a starting point. Place the dominos upright in a straight line, close to each other. Make sure the starting point is stable and secure. You can then start the experiment by tipping over the first domino and observing the chain reaction.

3. What variables can affect the outcome of an experiment with dominos?

The variables that can affect the outcome of an experiment with dominos include the weight and size of the dominos, the spacing between them, and the force used to tip over the first domino. Other factors such as the surface on which the dominos are placed and external forces like wind or vibrations can also have an impact.

4. How can the results of an experiment with dominos be used in other fields of science?

The results of experiments with dominos can be applied in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can help in understanding the laws of motion, calculating forces and energy, and even in designing structures that can withstand external forces.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting experiments with dominos?

When conducting experiments with dominos, it is essential to wear protective gear such as safety goggles and gloves. Make sure the area is clear of any obstacles and that the dominos are not placed near any flammable materials. It is also important to handle the dominos with care to avoid injuries and to clean up any fallen dominos to prevent accidents.