What are some good out-of-state schools for Chem E transfer students?

In summary, Angela is looking into transferring to a four-year university to study engineering. She has applied to UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, and UCI, but is unsure which school she should choose. She also recommends the Technical University of Delft in the Netherlands, Wisconsin-Madison, and the University of Florida.
amb123
I am looking to get into Chem Engineering or Materials Science. I will be transferring as a Junior from Community College. I would like to know what schools have good programs with good hands-on training opportunities as well offering a good understanding of theory. I live in Florida currently, but it seems that no great schools are in my area and I'm looking more out of state (if I'm going to move from S. Fla, I might as well leave the state because there isn't much in N. Fla).

I just applied to UC Berkely, UCLA, UCSD & UCI. I am considering applying to Rose-Hullman in Indiana, UIUC (If I have a chance w/o a good high school bkgrd), and USC. I did not do well in high school and dropped out, never took act, sat, etc, but I have over 60 community college credits, and have completed or will complete prior to transfer requirements for transferring into engineering (physics, math, chem, etc with all A's in the important stuff) with a 3.69gpa currently. What are good schools that I have a chance at transferring into? Also, my boyfriend works in IT and it is important that he be able to find a job nearby, so moving to podunk,usa might not work.

Thanks for any help!
Angela.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi

hey hey well.. i know u live in the US, but goin abroad is good for your experience as well as curriculum vitae, but i study at the Technical University in Delft in the Netherlands ..also Chem E :smile:

it was just a suggestion

but goodluck on finding a school

Minnesota-Twin Cities, Wisconsin-Madison have great programs as well.

US News 2005 rankings:

Undergraduate engineering specialties:
Chemical
(At schools whose highest degree is a doctorate)

1. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
2. Univ. of Minnesota–Twin Cities *
3. University of California–Berkeley *
4. Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison *
5. University of Texas–Austin *
6. Stanford University (CA)
7. University of Delaware *
U. of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign *
9. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor *
10. California Institute of Technology
11. Princeton University (NJ)
12. Georgia Institute of Technology *
13. Purdue Univ.–West Lafayette (IN)*
14. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
15. Cornell University (NY)
16. Northwestern University (IL)
17. Univ. of California–Santa Barbara *
18. Texas A&M Univ.–College Station *
19. Pennsylvania State U.–University Park *
University of Pennsylvania
21. North Carolina State U.–Raleigh *
Ohio State University–Columbus *
Rice University (TX)
University of Florida *

* denotes a public school.

Any advice on a good fit for a master's program? I majored in CS in college (BS in 2001) and will only have two semesters of organic and two semesters of physical chemistry completed by Fall 2005, in addition to the full year of first year chem and 12 semesters of physics completed when I was a regular undergrad . Just got a 800 on quantitative section of the GRE if that counts for anything. I have a couple of state universities in mind but want to know if anyone else has some advice.

Well, I was accepted to Rose-Hulman in Indiana. But, the school is EXTREMELY expensive, and seemingly in a remote area. Of course, it seems to be a very good school, at the top of the US News rankings for engineering schools w/o ph.d. Does anyone know how bad it would be out there in Terre Haute, IN? Is it worth it to move to the middle of nowhere freezing cold for a great undergrad program?

I have also applied to Berkeley, UCSD, UCLA, GIT, and I'm also applying to UT Austin. I am open for suggestions of course. My GPA has gone up to 3.73. I have 76 credits, and by the end of next semester i'll have 86 credits. I am realizing that many schools consider this a bad thing if all credits are "transferrable". I don't know how to determine what is transferrable at Berkeley. Are lower level mathematics courses (Intermediate & college algebra for instance) transferrable? Thanks for all replies!

Angela.

well expect to spend at least 3 years in a university to get your degree.

you will start with some kind of an engineering intro class, materials and energy balances for chemical engineering, and that will be in fall. I'm not sure if you thought of public schools, maybe you should give them a shot.

University at Buffalo in New York will most likely accept you. Total cost for one year is $14000 there - maybe you'll get financial aid, but that's a pretty good deal considering it includes everything (dorm, tuition, food, books, etc)

If New York isn't for you- you can apply to Georgia Tech - another good school and its in the south so the climate shouldn't be a problem. But personally I'd recommend staying in Florida - you won't need to pay out of state tuition for public schools that way, and the money won't be an issue.

What is Chemical Engineering?

Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that applies the principles of chemistry, physics, biology, and mathematics to design, develop, and operate processes that convert raw materials into useful products.

What are some good schools for Chemical Engineering?

Some top schools for Chemical Engineering include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, Stanford University, University of Texas-Austin, and University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

What factors should I consider when choosing a Chemical Engineering program?

Some factors to consider when choosing a Chemical Engineering program include the curriculum and courses offered, research opportunities, faculty expertise, internship and co-op programs, facilities and resources, and job placement rates.

What are some potential career options for Chemical Engineering graduates?

Chemical Engineering graduates can work in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, environmental engineering, food and beverage, and consumer products. Some common job titles for Chemical Engineering graduates include process engineer, research and development engineer, quality control engineer, and project manager.

Is a degree in Chemical Engineering worth it?

A degree in Chemical Engineering can lead to a lucrative and fulfilling career. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Chemical Engineers in 2020 was $108,540. Additionally, Chemical Engineering graduates are highly sought after by employers in a variety of industries. However, it is important to consider your personal interests and strengths before pursuing a degree in this field.