Calculating Simple Harmonic Motion for Thin Disks on a Horizontal Axis

• Thread starter nns91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary, the first conversation involves finding the period of simple harmonic motion for a suspended disk based on its mass and radius, and the second conversation involves determining the maximum and minimum readings on a scale for a man standing on a pitching ship, using the equations T=2*pi*sqrt(m/k) and F=ma respectively. In solving the problems, it is important to consider the correct moment of inertia and axis of rotation.
nns91

Homework Statement

1. A thin disk of mass 6kg and radius 20cm is suspended by a horizontal axis perpendicular to the disk through its rim. The disk is displaced slightly from equilibrium and released. Find the period of the subsequent simple harmonic motion.

2. The bow of a destroyer undergoes a simple harmonic vertical pitching motion with a period of 8.0s and an amplitude of 2.0m. An 80 is standing on a scale in the bunkroom in the bow. What are the maximum and minimum readings on the scale ?

Homework Equations

T=2*pi*sqrt(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So I used the formula T=2*pi*sqrt(I/mgd). I=(1/2)mr^2 since it is a disk. I plugged in numbers and got 0.63 sec which is wrong. Where did I do wrong ??

2. SO I used F=ma. I found the maximum acceleration to be 1.23 m/s^2. I plugged this in for a. However, I got a wrong answer. How should I fix it. Should I have F= m(g+a) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I still get a wrong answer for both of these. Any hints ?

nns91 said:
1. So I used the formula T=2*pi*sqrt(I/mgd). I=(1/2)mr^2 since it is a disk. I plugged in numbers and got 0.63 sec which is wrong. Where did I do wrong ??
Your moment of inertia is incorrect.
nns91 said:
Should I have F= m(g+a) ?
Yes. A scale effectively measures the normal reaction force. Therefore, the greatest reading on the scale will be when the man is accelerating upwards.

Dont forget that the I moment of inertia depends on the axis about which you choose to rotate the disk ;)

Now 1/2mr^2 is about which axis? and how do you calculate it for an axis on the rim?

1. What is a harmonic problem?

A harmonic problem is a mathematical or physical problem that involves the properties of harmonics, which are periodic oscillations with a constant frequency and amplitude. These problems can occur in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and music.

2. How are harmonic problems solved?

Harmonic problems can be solved using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms, which decompose a complex waveform into simpler components. Other methods include using differential equations, numerical analysis, and experimental measurements.

3. What are some real-world applications of harmonic problems?

Harmonic problems have many practical applications, such as analyzing the vibrations of bridges and buildings, designing musical instruments, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also important in fields like acoustics, optics, and signal processing.

4. Are there any challenges associated with solving harmonic problems?

Yes, there can be challenges when solving harmonic problems, especially when dealing with complex systems or non-linear behavior. Additionally, obtaining accurate measurements and data can be difficult, and there may be multiple solutions to a problem that need to be carefully evaluated.

5. How do harmonic problems relate to resonance?

Harmonic problems are closely related to resonance, which is the tendency of a system to vibrate with a larger amplitude at a specific frequency. In fact, resonance is often a result of harmonic components in a system, and understanding harmonic problems can help predict and control resonant behavior.