Some help with finding the limit of a series

This means that the sequence converges, and the limit is equal to zero. In summary, the sequence converges and the limit is equal to zero.
vande060

Homework Statement

determine whether or not the sequence converges of diverges. If it converges, find the limit.

an = ((-1)n-1n)/(n2 + 1)

Homework Equations

I have a feeling this theorem is used

if lim n->∞ |an| = 0, then lim n->∞ an = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start on this one, I thought about using L'Hospital for this, but I don't know how to do exponential derivatives without taking a log, and I don't remember the teacher ever doing that in class when looking at this variety of problem

Physics news on Phys.org
vande060 said:

Homework Statement

determine whether or not the sequence converges of diverges. If it converges, find the limit.

an = ((-1)n-1n)/(n2 + 1)

Homework Equations

I have a feeling this theorem is used

if lim n->∞ |an| = 0, then lim n->∞ an = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start on this one, I thought about using L'Hospital for this, but I don't know how to do exponential derivatives without taking a log, and I don't remember the teacher ever doing that in class when looking at this variety of problem

Do you have any sense of what this one does?
bn = n/(n2 + 1)

For n > 0, the denominator is always larger than the numerator, and gets larger more rapidly.

Mark44 said:
Do you have any sense of what this one does?
bn = n/(n2 + 1)

For n > 0, the denominator is always larger than the numerator, and gets larger more rapidly.

yes i understand that, that would mean that the series is decreasing right?

You seem to be using the terms "series" and "sequence" interchangeable, but they are different. Your thread title includes the word series, but what you showed is a sequence.

For your sequence, it might help to pull a factor of n2 out of the numerator, like so:
[tex]a_n = (-1)^{n - 1}\frac{n}{n^2(1 + 1/n^2)}[/tex]

This really isn't a very complicated sequence.

Mark44 said:
You seem to be using the terms "series" and "sequence" interchangeable, but they are different. Your thread title includes the word series, but what you showed is a sequence.

For your sequence, it might help to pull a factor of n2 out of the numerator, like so:
[tex]a_n = (-1)^{n - 1}\frac{n}{n^2(1 + 1/n^2)}[/tex]

This really isn't a very complicated sequence.

Im sorry, I am sure its not complicated, but this is one of the first ones I've seen:blushing:

I think I understand how to do the rest now though.

If I find the limit of the absolute value of this sequence I find that it is zero. By the theorem I posted earlier, the limit of the original sequence with the -1 is also 0. Correct?

Thanks for your help so far

Yes, the limit of the absolute values of this sequence is zero, which means that the limit of the original sequence is also zero.

1. What is the definition of a limit in a series?

A limit in a series is the value that a sequence of numbers approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is the value that the series gets closer and closer to, but may never actually reach.

2. How do you find the limit of a series?

To find the limit of a series, you need to analyze the pattern of the terms in the series and see if there is a common ratio or difference between each term. Then, you can use a formula or mathematical technique, such as the ratio or root test, to determine if the series converges to a specific value or diverges.

3. What does it mean if a series has a finite limit?

If a series has a finite limit, it means that the series approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases. This value is the limit of the series and is often denoted by the letter "L". This means that the series converges to a specific value and does not continue to increase or decrease without bound.

4. How do you know if a series has no limit?

A series has no limit if it diverges, meaning that the terms in the series do not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. This can happen if the terms in the series increase or decrease without bound, or if there is no clear pattern or common difference/ratio between the terms.

5. Can the limit of a series be negative?

Yes, the limit of a series can be negative. The limit of a series only refers to the value that the series approaches as the number of terms increases, not the actual values of the terms in the series. So, a series can have a negative limit even if the terms in the series are all positive.