Some historic remarks on astrometry by Terence Tao

• B
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a newsletter from Terence Tao promoting a book on astrophysics he is co-writing. The book is described as a historic essay written in a novel-like style rather than a technical textbook. Tao also shares a link to a collection of slides with interesting historical information, including one slide discussing the age and diameter of the universe. The question is raised about how we can determine the size of something that is three times further away than information can travel, which is explained to have to do with the expansion of the universe. However, the accuracy of the second number is disputed.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Terence Tao linked to a collection of slices about astrometry
I regularly receive a newsletter from Terence Tao about his blog. He lately announced a book he is writing with Tanya Klowden on astrophysics: Climbing the cosmic distance ladder. I cannot really assess the book, but I got the impression that it is mainly a historic essay written like a novel, rather than a primarily technical textbook. He linked a sample chapter in case you are interested.

However, my reason for this promotion is his link to a collection of slides which I think provides interesting historical facts.

Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary, Drakkith and Klystron
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Interesting. I do have a question though. The last link in the above post leads to a slide show (interesting and a fast read)
(https://terrytao.files.wordpress.com/2020/10/cosmic-distance-ladder.pdf)

Slide 187 shows:
Age of the Universe = 13.7x109 years
Diameter of Universe = 78x109 light years

How do we get information about the size of something that is three times further away than information travel? Something to do with Expansion perhaps?

Tom.G said:
Interesting. I do have a question though. The last link in the above post leads to a slide show (interesting and a fast read)
(https://terrytao.files.wordpress.com/2020/10/cosmic-distance-ladder.pdf)

Slide 187 shows:
Age of the Universe = 13.7x109 years
Diameter of Universe = 78x109 light years

How do we get information about the size of something that is three times further away than information travel? Something to do with Expansion perhaps?
Yes, is has to do with the expansion of the universe, but that second number is disputed, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe#Misconceptions_about_its_size

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. What is the significance of Terence Tao's remarks on astrometry?

Terence Tao's remarks on astrometry shed light on the history and development of astrometry, which is the branch of astronomy that deals with the precise measurement of celestial objects. They also provide insight into the contributions of influential figures in the field.

2. Who is Terence Tao and why is he qualified to make historic remarks on astrometry?

Terence Tao is a renowned mathematician and professor at the University of California, Los Angeles. He has made significant contributions to various fields, including astrometry, and has received numerous awards and honors for his work.

3. What are some of the key points discussed in Terence Tao's remarks on astrometry?

Some of the key points discussed in Terence Tao's remarks include the origins of astrometry, the development of techniques and instruments for measuring celestial objects, and the contributions of notable astrometrists such as Hipparchus and Tycho Brahe.

4. How do Terence Tao's remarks on astrometry contribute to the field of astronomy?

Terence Tao's remarks provide a historical perspective on astrometry, which can help researchers better understand the current state of the field and potentially inspire new ideas and developments. They also highlight the importance of collaboration and building upon the work of previous scientists.

5. Are Terence Tao's remarks on astrometry accessible to non-experts?

While Terence Tao's remarks are primarily aimed at those with a background in astrometry and related fields, they are written in a clear and concise manner that can be understood by non-experts with an interest in the subject. However, some prior knowledge of astronomy and mathematics may be helpful in fully understanding the content.