What Happened During Kanye West's Infamous Interruption at the 2009 VMAs?

• Thread starter Townsend
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a video of actors and musicians creating a video to raise money for the Red Cross. Kanye West's comment "George Bush doesn't care about black people" sparked controversy and criticism of the government's response to Hurricane Katrina. The conversation also touched on the incongruity of the video and the confusion surrounding Chris Tucker's involvement. Ultimately, the conversation turned to whether or not Kanye's statement had any merit and the need to understand why the system failed.
outsider said:
so it does have to do with perception. When a white guy drives down the street in a luxury vehicle, no one thinks anything of it... but when a black guy drives down the street in a nice car, there comes a certain set of thoughts... I am guilty too... and it all has to do with what we choose to see. I think you guys chose to see this video in a certain light and put your personal spin on it... subtle, but unfair. Again, you say that it is a judgement call... and so townsends judgement was pretty clear and disallowed for another persons perception...

What? What the heck are you trying to say here? That guy was not being prudent and that was pretty clear that he didn't understand that fund raisers are not the place for people to go off on politics. Are you telling me that I would have reacted differently if he was white?

c'mon, if i didn't see it on the news myself, i might even think of it as a comedy act... hell, at 8:10am on 9/11, I saw what looked like a movie on CNN... i was in disbelief myself...

Are you saying that if someone attacks me I should be caring about correcting them and try my best not to offend them when explaining to them that they were wrong?

i disagree... especially in this case, it is obvious that he was making fun of someone... who was it that he was making fun of? And for what reason?

Someone who didn't get it. So what?

yeah, maybe I'm a weirdo because I'm not compromised. You are defending a loser for whatever reason you chose to... and you're so weak that you throw in a jk... whatever you say because the jokes on you...

I'm a loser now? Wow... I need to cool off... I just hope that the moderators leave your words up.

You'd rather fit in than to believe the weirdo who built an ark to save the earth. IMO, Sucks to be you dude. it really does...

Just so you know, I am agnostic. But you can believe whatever you want.

back to the thread... apparently, what kanye west said was not in the script... which probably lead mike myers to the look on his face. kanye west is known to say whatever is on his mind no matter how contraversial it may be. i don't think it was wise of him to say that...

Here you are calling me a loser for saying he doesn't get it and then you move on to say that you don't think it was wise of him to say that...

What is the difference between what you said and what I said?

Pengwuino, here's some advice... just stick to defending yourself... defending others may only compromise your own credibility.

I don't think your really in much a position to be giving out advice considering this post.
:rolleyes:

[edit]
To keep score so far Outsider has said he thinks it was not wise for Mr. West to say what he said. Which for all practical purposes is exactly what why I titled this thread, "Some people just don't get it..."

So far I am accused of

1. attacking someone beliefs. Outsider seems to think the purpose the title of this thread is to attack someone’s beliefs.

2. I am told that I should respond nicely to people who attack me. (the irony)

3. I am called a coward

4. I am called a loser.

5. At the request of outsider I am adding that I am kniving individual

Outsider is directing all of this vehement anger at me because he thinks the reason for the title of the thread is that I wanted to attack someone’s beliefs. I have attempted to explain why I worded things the way I did and have so far restrained myself from making any personal attacks on anyone.

Maybe it's time this thread gets moved to the politics section. Or maybe one of the moderators can change the thread title. Maybe people would stop jumping on me if it said:

"Poorly timed political pop shot"

Or no... I am sure someone would still take offense...

How about:

"Fund raiser funny"

No...someone would still think I am trying to make a political statement...

I dunno. I have no idea how I could have titled this thread so that people would realize that it's purpose is to make fun of someone for not knowing when it is and is not prudent to be political and not to attack Mr. West's personal views on Bush.

In any case, this kind of response is not called for.
[/edit]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
outsider said:
so you do admit that you were slamming someone for their beliefs. which is why i confronted you in placing it in GD. I questioned your motives as you only allowed for one interpretation of the video... if you wanted to make a stance about how he didn't get it, you should've made it apparent rather than beating around the bush about it... just shows your cowardice. :devil: A coward dies a million lives... a soldier dies once.

NO I was not slamming anyone for their beliefs...

Can someone please explain to this guy what I am trying to say here. I don't care what that guy believes. I don't think he understood the purpose of his being there. He didn't get it...nothing more...

:yuck:

I cannot believe this utter nonsense. This is outrageous !

It seems like ANYTHING can be turned into a political war on ANY DAY on this forum.

Pengwuino said:
It seems like ANYTHING can be turned into a political war on ANY DAY on this forum.

It's hopeless I tell you...

Townsend,

I was wrong to suggest that you had been "had". When I first saw that video, the comments were so ridiculous that I assumed it must have been a comedy sketch, like the ones on SNL when they make fun of something by exaggerating it to the point of absurdity. The presence of Chris Tucker and Mike Myers re-inforced my belief that it was intended as comedy -- in poor taste, perhaps, but not to be taken seriously. It was only after I followed the link to the news story that I discovered the clip and the comments were "real", and not a parody.

So as it turns out, it is not you who were "had" for presenting the video as real, but me for ever doubting that it was.

Does that clear things up?

jma2001 said:
Townsend,

I was wrong to suggest that you had been "had". When I first saw that video, the comments were so ridiculous that I assumed it must have been a comedy sketch, like the ones on SNL when they make fun of something by exaggerating it to the point of absurdity. The presence of Chris Tucker and Mike Myers re-inforced my belief that it was intended as comedy -- in poor taste, perhaps, but not to be taken seriously. It was only after I followed the link to the news story that I discovered the clip and the comments were "real", and not a parody.

So as it turns out, it is not you who were "had" for presenting the video as real, but me for ever doubting that it was.

Does that clear things up?

It's no problem really...I assumed you realized it was real afterwards and it was a simple mistake. Everyone makes mistakes and I hope I didn't come off as too rude in response to you. :smile:

outsider, just drop it. geez. he wasn't attacking anybody; he just found the video funny.

Did kanye go too far?

vote here:
http://www.learntodownload.com/vote3

Last edited by a moderator:
outsider said:
When a white guy drives down the street in a luxury vehicle, no one thinks anything of it... but when a black guy drives down the street in a nice car, there comes a certain set of thoughts... I am guilty too... and it all has to do with what we choose to see.
HAHAHAHA! Maybe that's what you and people where you are from do. It's not like that around here where I live, though I'm sure there are probably a few people like you who have those thoughts too. :wink:

To address Townsend: you wanted to make a statement whether you believe it or not. Sure, you make yourself out to be a victim... just shows the kind of individual you are... you chose to see name-calling...

I can objectively say that kanye took an opportunity to make a political statement. I personally don't think it was wise, however he did it... and I don't blame him for his opinion. Perhaps he really does get it and you are the one who doesn't? What is and isn't appropriate is up for personal opinion. I will leave it at that.

TheStatutoryApe said:
HAHAHAHA! Maybe that's what you and people where you are from do. It's not like that around here where I live, though I'm sure there are probably a few people like you who have those thoughts too. :wink:
i'm just being honest... i can't help what dirty thoughts may fall into my mind... I've lived an interesting life... not that i'd change anything... i feel a lot of people view themselves as non-racist but don't even know that they are one of the most dangerous kind of racist.

i'm not calling anyone on PF a racist as it was just a depiction of how our minds are all slanted to view things in a certain light favorable to our own beliefs...

Last edited:
outsider said:
To address Townsend: you wanted to make a statement whether you believe it or not.

Since when can we just go around and tell people what they really wanted to do? I could say you really wanted to vote for Bush whether you believe it or not.

In any case, clearly you believe you know more about me than I know about myself and yet we have never even met before.

Sure, you make yourself out to be a victim...

Well I am so glad you won't let me pull the wool over your eyes.

just shows the kind of kniving individual you are... yeah.. you can add it to the list.

Ok I will...

I can objectively say that kanye took an opportunity to make a political statement.

An obvious fact...why even bother to mention it?

I personally don't think it was wise, however he did it... and I don't blame him for his opinion.

I agree with you completely...

Perhaps he really does get it and you are the one who doesn't?

Perhaps...

And perhaps the sun won't rise tomorrow or perhaps Bush will suddenly want to pull out of Iraq...anything thing is possible but all of these things are as unlikely as Mr. West getting it.

What is and isn't appropriate is up for personal opinion. I will leave it at that.

So why do we have laws? What are norms all about? Why does society have customs?

So if someone thinks it's appropriate to beat the crap out of their kid, then its ok? I don't think so...

People cannot just go around and act like idiots because they think it's appropriate.

And last but not least...why is it that in your opinion it is ok for Mr. West to express his opinion but then you jump on me saying that I shouldn't be slamming someones opinion? I mean, if I decide it is appropriate to slam someones opinion then by your rules it's all good.

You also seem to think I shouldn't have posted this in GD...why would you say that? You don't think it's appropriate? Don't you find that to be a tad ironic?

Last edited:
Townsend said:
And perhaps the sun won't rise tomorrow or perhaps Bush will suddenly want to pull out of Iraq...anything thing is possible but all of these things are as unlikely as Mr. West getting it.
well, ok... whatever you say mr. townsend...

kanye is expressing what many black people in america believe. his intentions were (in my opinion) in the wrong venue and a poor choice of words. Although, his perception of the government is accurate to the proof provided by the delayed response to the emergency situation in New Orleans.

I have stayed consistent with my logic as I also called YOU out for the same thing... your title was clearly slanted (just as kanyes statement was), but your slant was subtle, which gives you room to run.

In reading your response to jma2001, it became very obvious that he was not aware of what was happening and instead of simply educating him, you put him down.

You make yourself out to be a victim and that's just what I'd expect to see in primary school politics.
lil town said:
"oh teacher, jason is calling me a doohicky, and jennifer thinks I'm a dummy because i can't tie my shoes... waaaah", please help me everyone... look I'm a victim.
you were probably really proud of how you got TheSmokingMan banned... sure, maybe I'm next to go... whatever. it says nothing for your actual intelligence... i hope you know that.

What you could have titled it: "Kanye West makes statement during benefit concert" or if you really think it's funny "Look at Chris Tucker's Face!"

The interpretation of Chris Tucker's face... well, only Chris Tucker can say what that was caused by... our interpretations are simply what we choose to perceive.

yes, and last but not least...
And last but not least...why is it that in your opinion it is ok for Mr. West to express his opinion but then you jump on me saying that I shouldn't be slamming someones opinion? I mean, if I decide it is appropriate to slam someones opinion then by your rules it's all good.

You also seem to think I shouldn't have posted this in GD...why would you say that? You don't think it's appropriate? Don't you find that to be a tad ironic?
I'm so glad you asked because my logic has not bent or wavered... i still stand firm that I did not agree on Kanye Wests timing or choice of venue. His message was justified due to the lack of reaction from the Bush Administration. I slammed you because you were slamming him while you were basically doing the same thing. I can't stand a hypocrate.

Last edited:
Ok I think this is why I am going to stop posting in the GD:PWA forum (yes i know this is just the GD main section). No one can be right in anyone elses eyes and every single word has to be questioned and everyone has to be criticized to the highest standards conceivable.

outsider said:
you were probably really proud of how you got TheSmokingMan banned... sure, maybe I'm next to go... whatever. it says nothing for your actual intelligence... i hope you know that.

I have NEVER complained about anyone on this board...EVER!

I had the utmost respect for TSM and I liked him. We just didn't agree very often on most things.

If it were up to me I would have TSM reinstated here at PF but it is not up to me. I have no idea why he was banned but I can promise you it had nothing to do with me.

I am however at this point going to make my first ever complaint about another member, that being you. I can handle the name calling, personal attacks and meaningless diatribe but having you perpetuate an underhanded lie is beyond reproach.

As for the rest of your post...I have nothing more to say to you.

Outsider, you're really crossing the line. Please temper yourself.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Outsider, you're really crossing the line. Please temper yourself.
:rofl: so you agree with townsend?
:rofl: maybe you crossed the line?
:rofl: what gives you authority to warn me?
:rofl: this conversation was over, so what is the reason for your post?
:rofl: sure... whatever you say mr. virtual-rent-a-cop, sir.

my points still stand... :cool:

"kanye is expressing what many black people in america believe. his intentions were (in my opinion) in the wrong venue and a poor choice of words. Although, his perception of the government is accurate to the proof provided by the delayed response to the emergency situation in New Orleans.

I have stayed consistent with my logic...

The interpretation of Chris Tucker's face... well, only Chris Tucker can say what that was caused by...

As for the rest of your post...I have nothing more to say to you.
yes, i agree... let's end this now.

outsider said:
what gives you authority to warn me?
It's not a warning. It's a statement of opinion and a request.
Any member has the right to request that you abide by the rules.

TheStatutoryApe said:
It's not a warning. It's a statement of opinion and a request.
Any member has the right to request that you abide by the rules.
noted and will be considered. o:)

And I'll have you know I am a rent-a-cop! :wink:

well, rent-a... is usually referring to an inanimate object...

rent-a-yomamma

Pengwuino said:
rent-a-yomamma
:rofl: That was pretty good...

Now I seem like a bad person

TheStatutoryApe said:
And I'll have you know I am a rent-a-cop! :wink:
... congratulations! ... do you do birthdays and barmitzfas?