Some questions about the PFSS model on IMF

• A
  • Thread starter Tianluo_Qi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model Solar
In summary, the conversation discusses some questions and discrepancies in the mathematical development of a model in chapter three of Mr. Heoksema's doctoral dissertation on the structure and evolution of solar and heliospheric magnetic fields. These questions include the order of summation for certain equations, the correct orthogonal coefficient for spherical harmonics functions, and the meaning of truncation in the calculation of certain variables. The conversation also includes a discussion on whether or not certain equations should be omitted and how to deal with contradictory equations.
Tianluo_Qi
Hey guys, I am a Chinese student who is now reading the doctoral dissertation written by Mr. Heoksema, Structure and Evolution of the Large-Scale Solar and Heliospheric Magnetic Fields, for the preparation of my bachelor thesis. But some puzzles arise while reading the mathematic development of the model in chapter three. If you happen to have read this thesis before, it will be very appreciated to shed some light on those puzzles for me. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
1.While changing the order of the summation of index ##l## and ##m## when dealing with the line-of-sight component of the photospheric field, the writer omit the minus part of m.(P45)

as we know, the index m range from ##-l## through zero to ##l## for one certian ##l## in the spherical harmonics function, so for the nonnegative part of m, the following equation is right:
##\sum^{\infty}_{l=0}\sum^{l}_{m=0}A_{lm}=\sum_{m}\sum^{\infty}_{l=m}A_{lm}##​
but, for the negative part, the right equation is:
##\sum^{\infty}_{l=1}\sum^{-1}_{m=-l}A_{lm}=\sum_{m}\sum^{\infty}_{l=-m}A_{lm}##​
in the dissertation of Mr. Hoeksema, the first equation is used, for which the only logical explanation I come up with is that he omit the negative part of m, but he doesn't explain why this ignorance is adequate.

Last edited:
2.The orthogonal coefficient the writer shows for the spherical harmonics function is not consistent with what I learn. (P46)
Of course the orthogonal coefficient will not affect the result for different ##l,l^{'}## or different ##m,m^{'}##, so let’s focus on the equal ones. And as far as I know, the orthogonal coefficient of associated Legendre Polynomial is:
##\int_{0}^{\pi}sin\theta P_{l}^{m}P_{l}^{m}d\theta =\dfrac{(l+m)!}{(l-m)!}\dfrac{2}{2l+1}##​
And the integral of the phi part is (result being the same for sine and cosine):
##\int_{0}^{2\pi}cos^{2}m\phi d\phi=\pi##​
So I think the orthogonal coefficient for the spherical harmonics function should be:
##\dfrac{(l+m)!}{(l-m)!}\dfrac{2\pi}{2l+1}\delta_{ll^{'}}\delta_{mm^{'}}##​
but not what the writer shows:
##\dfrac{4\pi}{2l+1}\delta_{ll^{'}}\delta_{mm^{'}}##​

3.The coefficient before the sum-like integral expression is not correct even we assume that the orthogonal coefficient in the former page is correct. (P47)
If we refer to the orthogonal coefficient without Kronecker delta part as ##OC_{lm}##, then the coefficient before the sum-like integral expression here should be:
##\dfrac{1}{OC_{lm}}\dfrac{2\pi}{N}\dfrac{\pi}{M}##​
So if the writer's result is correct, the coefficient here should be:
##\dfrac{2l+1}{NM}\dfrac{\pi}{2}##​
And on the contrary:
##\dfrac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}\dfrac{2l+1}{NM}\pi##​
Furthermore, I think the expression here within the summation notation should be ##sin^{2}\theta_{i}##, but I am not sure if this is just a typo.

4.About the exact meaning of truncation for the calculation of ##g_{l}^{m}## and ##h_{l}^{m}##.(P47)
I see the truncation at the maximum index ##T## here as we ordering ##g_{l}^{m}=0(l>T)##(all the same for ##h_{l}^{m}##, so I just discuss ##g_{l}^{m}## below), so all the equations for the same ##m## here are:
##\beta_{m}^{m}g_{m-2}^{m}+\alpha_{m}^{m}g_{m}^{m}+\gamma_{m}^{m}g_{m+2}^{m}=\alpha_{m}^{m}g_{m}^{m}+\gamma_{m}^{m}g_{m+2}^{m}=a_{mm}##
##\beta_{m+1}^{m}g_{m-1}^{m}+\alpha_{m+1}^{m}g_{m+1}^{m}+\gamma_{m+1}^{m}g_{m+3}^{m}=\alpha_{m+1}^{m}g_{m+1}^{m}+\gamma_{m+1}^{m}g_{m+3}^{m}=a_{(m+1)m}##
##\vdots##
##\beta_{T}^{m}g_{T-2}^{m}+\alpha_{T}^{m}g_{T}^{m}+\gamma_{T}^{m}g_{T+2}^{m}=\beta_{T}^{m}g_{T-2}^{m}+\alpha_{T}^{m}g_{T}^{m}=a_{Tm}##
##\beta_{T+1}^{m}g_{T-1}^{m}+\alpha_{T+1}^{m}g_{T+1}^{m}+\gamma_{T+1}^{m}g_{T+3}^{m}=\beta_{T+1}^{m}g_{T-1}^{m}=a_{(T+1)m}##
##\beta_{T+2}^{m}g_{T}^{m}+\alpha_{T+2}^{m}g_{T+2}^{m}+\gamma_{T+2}^{m}g_{T+4}^{m}=\beta_{T+2}^{m}g_{T}^{m}=a_{(T+2)m}##
##\vdots##​
The right side of all the expressions represented by the second ellipses is zero so we need not to care about them. But there are still two more equations which are not contained in the matrix the write shows, so my question is that why we should omit them. My partner says that for ##T-m+1## variables, ##T-m+3## equations may lead to contradictory of equations, so we should ignore the last two equations. But I think for the theoretical component ##g_{l}^{m}##, of course we can order some of them to be zero, but as a number calculated out by one definite expression, we have no right to order ##\beta_{l}^{m}## to be zero. In my opinion, the only thing we can do to deal with this problem is to prove that the two more equations will not lead to contradictory of equations, but I have no clue how to do it.
And the expression for ##\beta_{l}^{m}## is:
##\beta_{l}^{m}=\dfrac{Q_{(l-1)}^{m}Q_{l}^{m}}{2l-1}##​
where ##Q_{l}^{m}## represents:
##Q_{l}^{m}=\sqrt{l^2-m^2}##​

I tried opening the article link. It requires an account.

1. What is the PFSS model on IMF?

The Potential-Field Source-Surface (PFSS) model is a mathematical model used in solar physics to describe the magnetic field of the Sun. It is a simplified representation of the solar magnetic field, assuming a spherical source surface at the solar surface and using potential-field theory to extrapolate the field lines from the photosphere to the source surface.

2. How does the PFSS model work?

The PFSS model works by using measurements of the solar magnetic field at the photosphere (the visible surface of the Sun) to extrapolate the magnetic field lines to a source surface above the Sun's surface. The model uses potential-field theory, which assumes that the magnetic field is generated by a distribution of sources at the photosphere and that the field is potential (meaning there is no magnetic field energy). The model then calculates the field lines that would result from these assumptions.

3. What is the purpose of the PFSS model?

The PFSS model is used to study the structure and evolution of the solar magnetic field. It can help scientists understand how the magnetic field of the Sun is generated and how it changes over time. The model is also used to make predictions about the behavior of the solar wind, which is the constant stream of charged particles flowing from the Sun into the solar system.

4. What are the limitations of the PFSS model?

The PFSS model is a simplified representation of the solar magnetic field and therefore has some limitations. It assumes that the field is potential, which is not always the case in reality. It also does not take into account the effects of currents and non-potential forces, which can be important in some regions of the Sun. Additionally, the model does not capture the small-scale features of the magnetic field, such as sunspots or coronal loops.

5. How is the PFSS model used in research?

The PFSS model is used in a variety of research areas in solar physics. It is often used to study the evolution of the solar magnetic field over time and to make predictions about the behavior of the solar wind. The model has also been used to study the dynamics of the Sun's corona and to investigate the connection between the solar magnetic field and solar activity, such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections.