Some Summed Digits In A 9-Digit Positive Integer

In summary, the problem involves finding a 9-digit positive integer that uses each of the decimal digits from 1 to 9 exactly once, while satisfying the following conditions: (i) the sum of the digits 1 and 2 and all the digits between them is 9, (ii) the sum of the digits 2 and 3 and all the digits between them is 20, (iii) the sum of the digits 3 and 4 and all the digits between them is 45, (iv) the sum of the digits 4 and 5 and all the digits between them is 18, (v) the sum of the digits 8 and 9 and all the digits between them is more than
K Sengupta
Determine a 9-digit positive integer that uses each of the decimal digits from 1 to 9 exactly once, such that:

(i) The sum of the digits 1 and 2 and all the digits between them is 9.

(ii) The sum of the digits 2 and 3 and all the digits between them is 20.

(iii) The sum of the digits 3 and 4 and all the digits between them is 45.

(iv) The sum of the digits 4 and 5 and all the digits between them is 18.

(v) The sum of the digits 8 and 9 and all the digits between them is more than 32.

(vi) The 8th digit is less than the 2nd digit.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well done JS !

I came across this problem in a puzzle periodical. However, the original version only provided clues (i) to (iv). I added clues (v) and (vi) on my own with a view to eliciting an unique solution.

I am just thinking aloud, but keeping all the other conditions unaltered, that is, 9-digit positive integer, using all the digits 1 to 9 exactly once, and so on ……, are there positive nondecimal integer base(s) A, with 11<= A <= 16, such that A gives at least one valid solution to the given problem !

1. What is a 9-digit positive integer?

A 9-digit positive integer is a number that contains 9 digits and is greater than 0. Examples include 123456789 and 987654321.

2. How do you find the sum of the digits in a 9-digit positive integer?

To find the sum of the digits in a 9-digit positive integer, you need to add up all of the individual digits in the number. For example, if the number is 123456789, the sum would be 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9 = 45.

3. Are there any limitations to the 9-digit positive integer used in this problem?

Yes, the only limitation is that the number must have exactly 9 digits. It can be any combination of numbers, as long as it is positive and has 9 digits.

4. Can you explain how to calculate the sum of the digits in a 9-digit positive integer using a mathematical formula?

Yes, the formula for finding the sum of the digits in a 9-digit positive integer is: (n/9) * (n+1), where n is the last digit of the number. For example, if the number is 123456789, the last digit is 9, so the sum would be (9/9) * (9+1) = 10.

5. What is the significance of finding the sum of the digits in a 9-digit positive integer?

The significance of finding the sum of the digits in a 9-digit positive integer is that it can help identify patterns or properties of the number. It can also be used in various mathematical calculations or problem-solving strategies.