Solving Tricky ODEs: \dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a}

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of the equation \dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a}, which is a=\frac{1}{2}C ( 1 - \cos{\eta} ) and requires finding or verifying this solution. The conversation also touches on the confusion caused by the use of different variables and the need to break the problem into two cases.
latentcorpse
I'm having difficulty showing the solution of

[itex]\dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a}[/itex] is [itex]a=\frac{1}{2}C ( 1 - \cos{\eta} )[/itex]
i think it's the fact that [itex]\dot{a}[/itex] is squared that's throwing me.
any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to find that solution or just confirm that it is a solution? If it's the latter, that's pretty easy. If it's the former, I would split it into two differential equations:
da/dt = sqrt(C) a-1/2 and da/dt = -sqrt(C) a-1/2 and go from there.

i get

[itex]a^{\frac{1}{2}} da = C^{\frac{1}{2}} dt \Rightarrow \frac{2}{3} a^{\frac{3}{2}} = C^{\frac{1}{2}} t \Rightarrow \frac{4}{9} a^3 = C t^2 \Rightarrow a= \left( \frac{9}{4} C t^2 \right)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex]

and the same from the other eqn as the negative dissappears at the squaring step.

In your second step above, you forgot the constant of integration. You should have (2/3)a3/2 = sqrt(C)*t + D

ok then

[itex]a^{\frac{3}{2}}=\frac{3}{3}C^{\frac{1}{2}}t+E[/itex]
[itex]a^3=\frac{9}{4}Ct^2+3EC^{\frac{1}{2}}t+E^2[/itex]

how do we get a cos out of all this? is it to do with expansions of cosine or something?

Two things:
1. a3/2 = (3/2) (sqrt(C)t + D) ==> a3 = (9/4) (sqrt(C)t + D)2
2. Your original problem has [tex]\dot{a}[/tex], which is usually interpreted to mean the derivative with respect to t. The right side of that equation has "eta." Is the derivative supposed to be with respect to eta? In any case, I did a quick check, and I'm not getting that a = C/2(1 - cos(eta)) is a solution of that equation. Can you verify that what you had in the OP is accurate?

my apologies. we should be trying to get [itex]a=(\frac{9C}{4})^{\frac{1}{3}} \tau^{\frac{2}{3}}[/itex] so the derivative is with respect to [itex]\tau[/itex] which makes sense because i should be dealing with proper time.

and we were integrating a from 0 to a and [itex]\tau[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\tau[/itex] so it works.

the one i am stuck on is finding [itex]a=\frac{1}{2}C(1-\cos{\eta})[/itex] is a solution of [itex]\dot{a}^2-\frac{C}{a}+1=0[/itex]

For the sake of easier typing, let's dispense with the Greek letters.

For the corrected problem, it's still not clear to me what you need to do. Your wording of find blah is a solution of blah blah is confusing.
Which one of these do we need to do?
a) Find the solution (which happens to be what you show).
b) Verify that a = C/2(1 - cos t) is a solution.

Just as before, if someone hands you a solution, it is pretty simple to verify whether it is a solution or not.

If the problem is to actually find the solution, you have da/dt = +/-sqrt(C/a - 1). Break into two cases, one for each sign, and separate and solve.

As I mentioned before, "a dot" usually indicates a derivative w.r.t. time, so is there some point in having the independent variable be eta?

i need to find the solution. but I am reading out of a book so it told me the answer and just skipped the working. i just want to "fill in the blanks" so to speak.

anyway they use eta in the book which is confusing to me also.

1. What is the meaning of the equation \dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a}?

The equation \dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a} is a second-order ordinary differential equation (ODE) that describes the motion of an object subject to a force that varies with its position. The variable a represents the position or distance of the object, and C is a constant that represents the strength of the force.

2. How do I solve \dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a}?

To solve this ODE, you can use a variety of techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or transforming it into a first-order ODE. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What are the initial conditions for solving \dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a}?

The initial conditions needed to solve this ODE are the initial position and velocity of the object. These values can be used to determine the value of the constant C and to find the particular solution for the equation.

4. Can I solve \dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a} analytically?

Yes, it is possible to solve this ODE analytically using the techniques mentioned in the answer to the second question. However, the solution may be complex and involve higher-level mathematics, so numerical methods may be more practical for certain cases.

5. What are some real-world applications of \dot{a}^2=\frac{C}{a}?

This ODE has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of motion under gravity, oscillating systems, and fluid dynamics. It can also be used to model the behavior of a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a projectile's trajectory.