Someone credentialed to take it on

• Thread starter Cryptonic
  • Start date
In summary: BAM! You're banned! It was quite a while before I could visit the site again. I had to contact him first and ask to be cleared. I've been going back again lately, because the folk who run the ATM forum at BAUT are a nicer, more tolerant bunch than the guys who run the show here at PF.Wow, that's quite a history! In summary, the conversation discusses the locking of a thread on the Physics Forums website and the disappointment of the original poster (OP) that no one disproved their idea. There is a discussion about the rules of the forum and how they are designed to maintain academic integrity. The conversation also touches on the concept of speculative ideas and the difference between lay
Cryptonic
someone "credentialed" to take it on

I'm disappointed that https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=324921" thread got locked, without anyone here actually disproving the OP's idea!?

I thought it was an interesting idea, and I was hoping for someone "credentialed" to take it on, perhaps giving good solid sound reasons why OP was wrong with his/her idea!?

Instead it was like "Nope = locked".

Gee, that is not very educational for us layfolk! There's a lot of folk here who want to learn. At least give a sound argument against a "silly" idea, THEN lock the thread!

Thanks, sorry for my rant. I would hate to see this wonderful science forum degenerate into something nasty like bautforum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It is actually the job of the OP to provide supporting evidence for their idea. That aside however we have rules in place about overly speculative posts and ideas. These rules are designed to maintain the academic integrity of the forum. If you wish to discuss speculative ideas then there are plenty of other forums out there that allow this. However, you will find the quality of discussion distinctly less informative than you would hope.

Cryptonic said:
There's a lot of folk here who want to learn.
There are also a lot of people who don't -- and the opening poster looks like he was one of those people.

And besides, I'd place his idea in the category of "not even wrong" -- it's sufficiently vague that it's impossible to pin it down well enough to give even a rough evaluation of whether or not it might agree with reality.

And do note that he was given a link to our independent research forum on the chance that he was really serious about trying to develop his theory.

Cryptonic said:
I would hate to see this wonderful science forum degenerate into something nasty like bautforum.

That only happens when we show up for chat. :redface:

Cryptonic said:
I would hate to see this wonderful science forum degenerate into something nasty like bautforum.
If you don't like the anti-crackpot rules and moderation at BAUT, then you won't like our anti-crackpot rules either.

Hurkyl said:
And do note that he was given a link to our independent research forum on the chance that he was really serious about trying to develop his theory.

That is the point at which virtually everyone offering personal theories lose interest - when actual work is required.

Cryptonic said:
I'm disappointed that https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=324921" thread got locked, without anyone here actually disproving the OP's idea!?
What is there to disprove?

"I think gravity is the result of invisible elves. Please state why it's wrong."

"OK, for one, what's wrong with the theory we have? For two, does yours make any better predictions? No and no? Well, come back when it does."

Evo said:
If you don't like the anti-crackpot rules and moderation at BAUT, then you won't like our anti-crackpot rules either.
They also have a strict anti-anti-crackpot policy too. After banning a crackpot, BA banned me for calling the crackpot a crackpot! :bugeye:

russ_watters said:
They also have a strict anti-anti-crackpot policy too. After banning a crackpot, BA banned me for calling the crackpot a crackpot! :bugeye:
:smile:

Wait. Who did the banning? You banned him, or they banned him?

You must have meant they banned him.

I guess they probably banned him for something more concrete that actually violated forum rules, not merely for "being a crackpot".

DaveC426913 said:

Wait. Who did the banning? You banned him, or they banned him?

You must have meant they banned him.
BA is The Bad Astronomer. He's the owner and sole operator of the site. He banned both me and the crackpot.
I guess they probably banned him for something more concrete that actually violated forum rules, not merely for "being a crackpot".
I don't remember the specifics of the situation, but iirc, the guy was a babbling/trolling philosopher type who used dishonest arguments. He misquoted me and basically got banned for lying and I got banned for calling him a liar.

russ_watters said:
BA is The Bad Astronomer. He's the owner and sole operator of the site. He banned both me and the crackpot. I don't remember the specifics of the situation, but iirc, the guy was a babbling/trolling philosopher type who used dishonest arguments. He misquoted me and basically got banned for lying and I got banned for calling him a liar.
That must have been quite the discussion! :-p

russ_watters said:
BA is The Bad Astronomer. He's the owner and sole operator of the site. He banned both me and the crackpot. I don't remember the specifics of the situation, but iirc, the guy was a babbling/trolling philosopher type who used dishonest arguments. He misquoted me and basically got banned for lying and I got banned for calling him a liar.

Did you make the "http://www.bautforum.com/forum-rules-faqs-information/30979-baut-banned-suspended-posters-log.html"" thread?

Some of the comments can be somewhat entertaining.

Moon Man banned for trolling and not defending his views here.

Reinstated due to popular demand after a couple of hours, then banned at noon on Sunday, November 13. I should have stuck to my guns the first time.

yelram permanently banned for an extended ad hom (deleted) against all mainstream posters in the ATM forum. Since he demonstrably has no respect for this forum or pretty much anyone here, he shouldn't be particularly bothered.

I think I stated once that it would be fun to have a similar thread here also, but I decided it would take all of the mystery out of Cyrus's monthly kick-boots.

And to the OP: I've stated it before that I contribute $$ to this forum, and no other, because they are quite good at keeping the riffraff out of here.

Wow that banned/suspended log is interesting. Although what the hell is this:

Joeblake has been banned for sock puppetry.

Pengwuino said:
Wow that banned/suspended log is interesting. Although what the hell is this:

A sock puppet is a reincarnation of a previously banned person. Ie, an attempt to circumvent the ban.

russ_watters said:
A sock puppet is a reincarnation of a previously banned person. Ie, an attempt to circumvent the ban.

They can also be created while still a user, to act as a yes man to all of ones imbecilic arguments.
I created a sock puppet for fun at another forum, simply because they had no rule against it, and everyone was accusing everyone else at the time of having multiple puppets.

Someone got pissy about mine, even though I named it the equivalent of "OmCheetos Sockpuppet".

It was like jeesh. I even reported myself to the moderators right after I created it, just to make sure it was ok. And that they could delete the account if it offended them.

They finally shut the forum down, I suspect due to insufficient moderation/admin control.

Which is why I seldom argue with the moderators here. Even when I thought my tomato post was hilarious, and they didn't find it funny, at all...:eek::confused::redface:

OmCheeto said:
Which is why I seldom argue with the moderators here. Even when I thought my tomato post was hilarious, and they didn't find it funny, at all...:eek::confused::redface:
I don't remember the tomato.

Evo said:
I don't remember the tomato.

I do believe forum etiquette dictates that I am not at liberty to publicly discuss the tomato, nor specifically, the growing of tomatoes, at this time.

OmCheeto said:
I do believe forum etiquette dictates that I am not at liberty to publicly discuss the tomato, nor specifically, the growing of tomatoes, at this time.
Oh, I found it. I agreed with your post. How can someone work themselves to death growing cherry tomatoes in a greenhouse? :rolleyes:

Evo said:
Oh, I found it. I agreed with your post. How can someone work themselves to death growing cherry tomatoes in a greenhouse? :rolleyes:
I grow them in pots on my back deck. I could fall and break my neck, I suppose.

Evo said:

Two guesses.
1. Translation error. He may have also meant the harvesting. It came out to about 250 lbs per person.
2. They may have to hand carry the the water every day because they don't have the infrastructure that we take for granted. I've carried 10 gallons of water 100 feet before. It prompted me to build an irrigation system. Manual labor sucks. And in their climate? I'd be dead.

It's easy to make fun of people when you don't know all the circumstances. The warning made me think about the situation, and how I might be wrong.

It's kind of like the line in my sig:

Opening your mind to something you ignorantly make fun of can be a jarring wake up to the reality that is, which is this: everything is not what it appears.

OmCheeto said:
Two guesses.
1. Translation error. He may have also meant the harvesting. It came out to about 250 lbs per person.
2. They may have to hand carry the the water every day because they don't have the infrastructure that we take for granted. I've carried 10 gallons of water 100 feet before. It prompted me to build an irrigation system. Manual labor sucks. And in their climate? I'd be dead.

It's easy to make fun of people when you don't know all the circumstances. The warning made me think about the situation, and how I might be wrong.

It's kind of like the line in my sig:
I believe they said that the greenhouses were operational, which I took to mean having water. It did strike me as an over exaggeration.

The OP has received his answer, so this thread is done.

Related to Someone credentialed to take it on

What does it mean to be "credentialed" to take on a task?

Being "credentialed" means that a person has the necessary qualifications, skills, and/or experience to complete a specific task or job.

What types of credentials are typically required for certain tasks?

The types of credentials required for a task will vary depending on the specific job or field. Some common credentials may include a specific degree or certification, relevant work experience, and/or specialized skills or training.

How can one become credentialed to take on a task?

The process for becoming credentialed will also vary depending on the task and industry. It may involve completing a specific education program, obtaining a certification or license, or gaining relevant work experience.

Why is it important to have a credentialed individual take on a task?

Having a credentialed individual take on a task ensures that the person is qualified and capable of completing the task at hand. This helps to maintain standards and quality in a particular field or industry.

What should one do if they are unsure if they are credentialed for a task?

If you are unsure if you have the necessary credentials to take on a task, it is always best to consult with a professional or someone with expertise in the field. They can provide guidance and help determine if you are qualified to take on the task.