How Do You Calculate Work Done by a Variable Force Along a Displacement?

In summary, the conservative force acting on a 5.00 kg particle is described by the equation Fx = (2x + 4) N, where x is in meters. To calculate the work done by this force as the particle moves from x = 2.60 m to x = 6.20 m, you would use integration. However, since Fx is linear in this case, you can also find the average force and use that to calculate the work done.
Jacob87411
A single conservative force acts on a 5.00 kg particle. The equation Fx = (2x + 4) N describes this force, where x is in meters. As the particle moves along the x-axis from x = 2.60 m to x = 6.20 m, calculate the following.
(a) the work done by this force
-----------------
Alright this seems pretty straight forward...W=FD, distance equals the change in X which is (6.2-2.6) which equals 3.6...The force acting on the particle is where I get a bit confused. F=2x+4...do you do it with x=6.2 or 2.6? Or do you find the value of 6.2 and subtract is from 2.6? Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
In the general case, you would do an integration.

WD = int, from x=2.6 to x=6.2, of Fx dx

However, in this particular case, since Fx is linear, then you can just take the average Force.

F_av = (F_6.2 + F_2.6)/2.

Last edited:
The force is not constant. You need to integrate to find the work done.

1. What is a "somewhat basic work problem"?

A somewhat basic work problem refers to a task or issue that may not be overly complicated or advanced, but still requires some level of critical thinking or problem-solving skills to solve.

2. How can I identify a somewhat basic work problem?

A somewhat basic work problem can be identified by examining the task or issue at hand and determining if it requires a simple solution or if it may require some level of analysis or decision-making.

3. How do I approach solving a somewhat basic work problem?

The best approach to solving a somewhat basic work problem is to start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. Then, analyze each step and determine the best course of action to solve each one.

4. What skills are needed to effectively solve a somewhat basic work problem?

Some key skills needed to effectively solve a somewhat basic work problem include critical thinking, problem-solving, decision-making, and analytical skills. It is also important to have good communication and time management skills to effectively solve the problem within a given timeframe.

5. How can I improve my ability to solve somewhat basic work problems?

To improve your ability to solve somewhat basic work problems, it is important to practice regularly and continuously challenge yourself with new tasks and issues. You can also seek feedback from colleagues or mentors to identify areas for improvement and work on developing those skills.