Welcome! Discussing Airgun Ballistics

In summary, a new member of the forum is interested in discussing ballistics, specifically internal ballistics in airguns. They ask if it is possible for compressed air to be released faster than the speed of sound without using a CD nozzle. It is determined that a CD nozzle is the only way to achieve this. The member also asks if the airflow would be faster than the pellet if discharged without a pellet, and it is confirmed that this is true.
RKT
Greetings to all Forumites ! I am new to this forum and this is my first post. If the subject of my post does not concur with this section, pls excuse me and redirect me to the correct section. Thanks.

My interest is in ballistics, particularly internal. Most of my questions and discussions will relate to airguns, although I'll discuss the physics here and not mechanical setups. I hope this subject is not taboo.

I should like to start off with this question : Using ONLY compressed air from a reservior, is it possible to let out a stream of air through an orifice faster than the local speed of sound ? I know that a CD nozzle can do it, any other way ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A CD nozzle is the only way to do it. Anything less will choke.

Well, let me make one caveat...if you were to pull the entire barell system under vacuum, you could pass M1.

Re : A CD nozzle is the only way ...

Thanks. That puts me on more conclusive footing. So a CD nozzle is a must.

The next thing I want to know ... Would my following understanding be true ?

' If a pellet exits a barrel at say, 900 fps, then, the airflow must WANT to go way faster than that. The key word here is 'want'. The air actually cannot go any faster than the pellet (as the pellet obstructs the flow) but it WANTS to. Thats pressure. That is to say, if discharged without a pellet, the airflow would be way faster than 900 fps.'

1. What is airgun ballistics?

Airgun ballistics refers to the study of the behavior and movement of projectiles fired from airguns. This includes factors such as velocity, trajectory, and accuracy.

2. How do airgun ballistics differ from traditional firearms ballistics?

Airgun ballistics differ from traditional firearms ballistics in a few ways. First, airguns use compressed air or gas to propel the projectile, rather than gunpowder. This results in lower velocities and shorter effective ranges. Additionally, airgun projectiles are typically lighter and have a different shape, leading to different trajectories and terminal ballistics.

3. What factors affect airgun ballistics?

There are several factors that can affect airgun ballistics, including the type and power of the airgun, the weight and shape of the projectile, the air resistance and wind conditions, and the distance to the target. Other variables such as temperature and humidity can also have an impact.

4. How can I improve the ballistics of my airgun?

Improving the ballistics of an airgun can be achieved by selecting the right combination of gun, projectile, and accessories. This includes choosing a high-powered airgun with an accurate barrel, using heavier and more aerodynamic pellets, and using a scope or other sighting aid to improve accuracy.

5. Are there any safety considerations when discussing airgun ballistics?

Yes, there are important safety considerations when discussing airgun ballistics. Airguns should always be treated with the same respect and caution as traditional firearms. It is important to follow all safety guidelines, including proper handling and storage, wearing appropriate eye and ear protection, and always being aware of your surroundings and potential backstops.