Sound and kinematic problem solving

In summary, a man dropped a stone into a can that is 120m deep. If the temperature of the air is 20 degrees Celsius, it would take 7.2 seconds for the man to hear the sound when the stone hit the can.
anna sung

Homework Statement

a man dropped a stone into a can that is 120m deep. if the temperature of the air is 20degree celsius. how long would it take for a man to hear the sound when the stone hit the can?

Homework Equations

d=Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

since i know that the initial velocity is 0.0m/s
i canceled out the part vi*t
and solved for time ----> t= [tex]\sqrt{}2(d)/a[/tex]
which is t= [tex]\sqrt{}2(120m)/9.81m/s^2[/tex]= 7.2s

is this correct.? I am having a doubt on my answer because i didnt use the temperature at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how you got 7.2s from that equation - maybe you entered in incorrectly into your calculator?

And the temperature is really only used as a reference in regards to the speed of sound. So, you have the time it takes the stone to hit the bottom of the can, and then the time for the sound to travel back to the man.

p21bass said:
I'm not sure how you got 7.2s from that equation - maybe you entered in incorrectly into your calculator?

And the temperature is really only used as a reference in regards to the speed of sound. So, you have the time it takes the stone to hit the bottom of the can, and then the time for the sound to travel back to the man.

wait. sorry i got wrong number from the calculator but the equation is right.right?
and also so are you saying that i had to use the temperature. and find thae speed of the time and add it with the time i got from the kinematic equation or just what i did was the end?

p21bass said:

Unless, of course, the man hears the sound that travels up through the walls of the can first! :wink:

That's a *big* can!

gneill said:
Unless, of course, the man hears the sound that travels up through the walls of the can first! :wink:

That's a *big* can!

what? wait. I am still confused so you mean the equation i did was the end. or i had to do add the time i got using the temperature?

There are two time periods involved. The first (which you've already addressed) is the time it takes for the stone to reach the bottom of the can. The second period is the time it takes for the sound from the impact to travel back up to the man. This second period involves the speed of sound in air which is temperature dependent (but not by too much unless the temperatures get really far from room temp). Simply look up the speed of sound at that temperature.

gneill said:
There are two time periods involved. The first (which you've already addressed) is the time it takes for the stone to reach the bottom of the can. The second period is the time it takes for the sound from the impact to travel back up to the man. This second period involves the speed of sound in air which is temperature dependent (but not by too much unless the temperatures get really far from room temp). Simply look up the speed of sound at that temperature.

no!so that means in the end you were supposed to add both of the times and that is your final answer? cause this question was on my test i stopped at the kinematic equation.

Yes, that's how that problem is solved.

p21bass said:
Yes, that's how that problem is solved.

ah man..at lest i did the half correctly . thank you so much for help! it was a great help!

1. What is the relationship between sound and kinematic problem solving?

Sound and kinematic problem solving are both related to the study of motion. Sound is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, while kinematic problem solving involves using equations and concepts to analyze the motion of objects. The two are often connected when studying the motion of sound waves through different mediums.

2. How is sound used in kinematic problem solving?

Sound can be used in kinematic problem solving by analyzing the speed, frequency, and wavelength of sound waves. These variables can be plugged into kinematic equations to solve for other quantities, such as distance or time.

3. What are some common kinematic problems involving sound?

Some common kinematic problems involving sound include finding the speed of sound in a given medium, determining the distance between two objects based on the time it takes for sound to travel, or calculating the frequency of a sound wave based on its wavelength and speed.

4. How can understanding sound and kinematic problem solving benefit us?

Understanding sound and kinematic problem solving can benefit us in various ways. It allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of sound waves, which is important in fields such as acoustics and audio engineering. It also helps us to analyze and improve the motion of objects, which is crucial in fields such as engineering and physics.

5. What are some common misconceptions about sound and kinematic problem solving?

One common misconception about sound and kinematic problem solving is that sound can only travel through air. In reality, sound can travel through various mediums such as water, solids, and even outer space. Another misconception is that kinematic equations can only be used for simple, one-dimensional problems. In fact, these equations can also be applied to more complex, three-dimensional problems.