Calculating Resonant Frequency of a Soda Bottle

In summary, the resonant frequency for blowing across the top of an empty soda bottle that is 15cm deep would be 3.0m. This would remain the same for a one-third full soda bottle. However, the pitch of the sound produced may differ due to the difference in air and liquid density.
Malicious

Homework Statement

(a)What resonant frequency would you expect from blowing across the top of an empty soda bottle that is 15cm deep?

(b) How would that change if it was one-third of soda

Homework Equations

/\=v/f

The Attempt at a Solution

15cm=1.5m
/\=2L=2(1.5m)=3.0m

(a) After I find /\, I try to solve for frequence (f) by plugging /\ into /\=v/f but I do not have v or f. So, I don't know what to do.

(b) I think the answer would be (1/3)/\ .

[ EDIT ] Nevermind, I figured it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The resonant frequency would be the same for both the empty and one-third full soda bottle, as it is dependent on the length of the bottle and not the amount of liquid inside. So, the resonant frequency for both would be 3.0m. However, the pitch of the sound produced may be slightly different due to the different densities of air and liquid.

The resonant frequency of a soda bottle can be calculated using the equation /\=v/f, where /\ is the wavelength, v is the speed of sound, and f is the frequency. In this case, we are given the depth of the soda bottle (15cm or 0.15m) and asked to find the resonant frequency.

To find v, we can use the equation v=fl, where l is the speed of sound in air (343 m/s). Plugging in the values, we get v=343 m/s x 0.15m = 51.45 m/s.

Now, we can plug in the values for /\ and v into the equation /\=v/f to solve for f. This gives us f=v/\=51.45 m/s / 3.0m = 17.15 Hz.

For part (b), if the soda bottle is one-third full, the depth would be 5cm or 0.05m. Following the same steps as above, we get f=v/\=343 m/s / 0.05m = 6860 Hz. This is a much higher resonant frequency compared to the empty bottle, which makes sense since the depth is now much smaller.

1. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of a soda bottle?

The resonant frequency of a soda bottle can be calculated by using the formula f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the resonant frequency, k is the stiffness of the bottle, and m is the mass of the bottle. This formula assumes that the bottle behaves like a simple harmonic oscillator.

2. What factors affect the resonant frequency of a soda bottle?

The resonant frequency of a soda bottle is primarily affected by the stiffness and mass of the bottle. Other factors that may have a minor impact include the shape and size of the bottle, the material it is made of, and the temperature of the liquid inside.

3. Why is it important to calculate the resonant frequency of a soda bottle?

Calculating the resonant frequency of a soda bottle can provide valuable information for packaging and transportation purposes. It can also help in understanding the physical properties of different materials and how they interact with sound waves.

4. Can the resonant frequency of a soda bottle be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a soda bottle can be changed by altering the stiffness or mass of the bottle. For example, adding or removing liquid from the bottle will change its mass, and squeezing or stretching the bottle will change its stiffness.

5. How accurate is the calculated resonant frequency compared to the actual resonant frequency of a soda bottle?

The calculated resonant frequency may not always match the actual resonant frequency of a soda bottle due to various factors such as imperfections in the bottle's material or shape. However, the calculated frequency can provide a close estimate and can be used for practical purposes.