Sound Waves, Resonance, and intensity

In summary, the sound produced by two flutists playing at the same intensity will only be about 1dB louder than the sound produced by either flutist playing alone at the same intensity. This is due to the logarithmic nature of the human ear's perception of loudness. A doubling in intensity typically results in a 3dB increase in sound level.
babybeth09
"If two flutists play ther instuments together at the same intensity, is the sound twice as loud as that of either flutist playing alone at the intensity? Why or why not?"

I know that the answer has something to do with the sensation of loudness being logarithmic in the human ear, but I guess I don't really understand the concept.

Any help is greatly, greatly, greatly appreciated! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The sound will be 1dB louder, I think (using the original as a reference). Either way, it will not be twice as loud. You already gave the correct answer.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Well, the equation for the sound level is:

[tex]\beta=10log[\frac{I}{I_o}][/tex]

Where [tex]I_o=10^-^1^2\frac{W}{m^2}[/tex]

So you can just plug in values for varying intensities and see.

Cool - thank you guys. It's good to have some help because my teacher just gives us the assignment without doing much lecturing or anything, then won't really help us at all, so you guys are life savers!

dst said:
The sound will be 1dB louder, I think (using the original as a reference). Either way, it will not be twice as loud. You already gave the correct answer.
A doubling in intensity is about 3 dB as a rule of thumb.

Claude.

What are sound waves?

Sound waves are vibrations that travel through a medium, such as air or water, and can be heard by the human ear. They are created when an object vibrates, causing molecules in the medium to bump into each other, creating a wave of energy that travels through the medium.

How does resonance work?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object is exposed to a sound wave with a frequency that matches its natural frequency. This causes the object to vibrate at a larger amplitude, making the sound louder. This is why certain objects, such as a tuning fork or a wine glass, can produce a loud sound when struck.

What factors affect the intensity of a sound wave?

The intensity of a sound wave is affected by several factors, including the amplitude of the wave (how high the peaks and low the troughs are), the distance from the source of the sound, and the medium through which the sound travels. For example, sound will travel faster and with higher intensity through a solid medium than through a gas.

How do sound waves travel through different mediums?

Sound waves can travel through different mediums, such as air, water, or solids. In each medium, the speed of sound will vary, as well as the way the waves are transmitted. In a solid medium, such as a metal, the molecules are packed tightly together, allowing sound waves to travel quickly and efficiently. In a gas, such as air, the molecules are more spread out, causing sound waves to travel at a slower speed.

How can sound waves be used in everyday life?

Sound waves have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in communication devices, such as phones and radios, and in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound. Sound waves are also used in musical instruments and in the production of music, as well as in measuring and detecting earthquakes and other natural phenomena.