What do the sound waves look like after Mach 1?

In summary, at Mach 1, the waves in front of the craft become closer and closer until they are on top of each other, creating a shock wave. This shock wave forms a cone that becomes pointier as the craft moves faster. The sound does get louder as the plane pushes sound waves through more previous ones, but it is also stretched farther apart due to the Doppler effect. This phenomenon is known as a shock wave and can be further explored through sources such as the Nuclear Weapon Archive and its FAQ section.
grandpa2390
I get from pictures that the waves in front of the craft get closer and closer together until at Mach 1 they are on top of each other and boom!

but!
after that, the sound waves form a cone... what is that? is that the head of each wave being produced behind the previous wave and then blasting through it as the plane pushes through each sound wave?

the cone gets pointier as the craft moves faster. Does the sound get louder as the the plane pushes sound waves through more previous ones, or are the sound waves just stretched farther apart only.

I am imagining the Doppler effect would stretch the cone like it does the waves prior. But that is just a guess on my part.

Physics news on Phys.org
nikkkom said:
It becomes a shock wave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_wave

I had heard of the term before, but I always put it in that category with fictional scientific terms such as "flux capacitor" and so forth.
Should be doing homework right now, but everything else in Physics is always more interesting that what I am supposed to be doing ;)

1. What is Mach 1 and why is it significant in regards to sound waves?

Mach 1 is the speed of sound in a specific medium, usually air. It is significant because it is the threshold at which sound waves travel at their fastest possible speed in that medium. Anything traveling faster than Mach 1 creates a sonic boom.

2. What do sound waves look like before and after Mach 1?

Before Mach 1, sound waves appear as a series of compressions and rarefactions, similar to a wave in the ocean. After Mach 1, the sound waves become compressed into a cone shape, known as a shockwave, due to the sudden increase in speed.

3. Do sound waves look different after Mach 1 in different mediums?

Yes, the appearance of sound waves after Mach 1 can vary depending on the medium. In air, the shockwave is typically cone-shaped. In water, the shockwave can appear more like a disk. In solid objects, the shockwave can create cracks and other visual effects.

4. Can we see sound waves after Mach 1 with the naked eye?

No, sound waves, whether before or after Mach 1, are not visible to the naked eye. However, we can detect the effects of sound waves, such as vibrations and changes in air pressure, with our senses.

5. How do we measure the appearance of sound waves after Mach 1?

The appearance of sound waves after Mach 1 can be measured using specialized equipment, such as high-speed cameras or pressure sensors. These instruments can capture and record the movements and changes in pressure caused by the sound waves, allowing us to study and analyze their appearance.