Sounds of Music - Metallophone

• Thread starter lindahelen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of temperature affecting the pitch of a metallophone. The suggestion was made to choose a material with a small coefficient of linear expansion, such as steel. However, it was noted that the speed of sound in air also changes with temperature, so it may be necessary to adjust the tube length or note that the pitch is temperature dependent. It was also suggested that the change in speed of sound in the resonator (metal bar) may be negligible.
lindahelen
Hello!

I'm building a metallophone for Science Olympiad this year, and I encountered a problem.

Since the length of the pipe determines the frequency/pitch, I sawed the pipes to different lengths for different notes. The problem I was having, however, was that when the temperature changes, the pitch of the pipes changes as well. It isn't extremely significant, like an entire note off, but it's noticeable to a person trained to recognize pitch well. Is there a way I could minimize the effects of temperature?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing to do is to choose a material with the smallest possible coefficient of linear expansion e.g. steel is better than brass or Al.

Although looking at the numbers I'm not sure that this is very significant at all.
Metal expands much less than other materials used in musical resonators (nylon, air etc).

the trouble is that the speed of sound in air changes with temperature. You may want to play with some sort of slider to change your tube length. Or just note that the pitch is temperature dependent.

Integral said:
the trouble is that the speed of sound in air changes with temperature. You may want to play with some sort of slider to change your tube length. Or just note that the pitch is temperature dependent.

Yes but surely the speed that counts (for pitch) is the speed in the resonator (metal bar), and the change in this is neglible?

Related to Sounds of Music - Metallophone

What is a metallophone?

A metallophone is a musical instrument that consists of a series of metal bars of different lengths that are struck with mallets to produce musical tones.

How does a metallophone produce sound?

When a metal bar is struck with a mallet, it vibrates and produces a sound wave. The size and shape of the metal bar determine the pitch and tone of the sound.

What materials are used to make a metallophone?

The bars of a metallophone are typically made of different types of metals such as aluminum, steel, or bronze. The frame of the metallophone can be made of wood, metal, or plastic.

What are the different types of metallophones?

There are different types of metallophones including the glockenspiel, vibraphone, and marimba. Each type has a different range of notes and is used in different genres of music.

How is a metallophone different from a xylophone?

A metallophone is similar to a xylophone in that both instruments have bars that are struck to produce sound. However, a metallophone's bars are made of metal while a xylophone's bars are made of wood. This results in a different tone and timbre in the sound produced.