Sources for Crystal Models (FCC, BCC, etc)?

In summary, the speaker has been acquiring molecular models of graphene and buckyballs but is unable to find crystal models with different orientations such as face-centered cubic and body-centered cubic. They are looking for pre-made, hard plastic models and have found some options on websites such as crystalstructures.com and miramodus.com. However, they are unsure about the availability of different surface orientations.
MissSilvy
I have been acquiring some nice molecular models of graphene, buckyballs, and things like the model below.

http://www.indigo.com/images/product/172.jpg

One thing I have not been able to find are crystal models with the different orientations like face-centered cubic, body-centered cubic and such. Does anyone know where I can find molecular models like this one? I cannot make some of these without drilling the modeling kits that I have (which, due to the angles and connectors, would look terrible and be a big hassle). Styrofoam and other DIY methods are not preferred, I am looking for pre-made, hard, plastic models if anyone knows. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the difference between FCC and BCC crystal structures?

FCC (Face-centered cubic) and BCC (Body-centered cubic) are two common crystal structures found in metals. The main difference between them is the arrangement of atoms within the unit cell. In FCC, atoms are arranged in a face-centered manner, meaning there is an atom at each corner and one in the center of each face of the unit cell. In BCC, atoms are arranged in a body-centered manner, with one atom at each corner and one in the center of the unit cell. This leads to a higher packing efficiency in FCC compared to BCC.

2. What are some common examples of materials with FCC and BCC crystal structures?

FCC crystal structures are commonly found in metals such as aluminum, copper, and gold. BCC crystal structures are found in metals such as iron, chromium, and tungsten. However, it is important to note that not all metals have a pure FCC or BCC structure, as some may have a combination of both structures or other variations.

3. How do you determine the lattice parameters for a FCC or BCC crystal model?

The lattice parameters for a crystal model can be determined by measuring the distances between neighboring atoms in the unit cell. For FCC, the lattice parameter (a) is equal to the distance between two adjacent atoms on the same face, while for BCC, the lattice parameter (a) is equal to the distance between two adjacent atoms on opposite corners of the unit cell.

4. Can a material have a combination of different crystal structures?

Yes, it is possible for a material to have a combination of different crystal structures. This can occur due to factors such as impurities, temperature, and pressure. For example, iron can have a BCC structure at room temperature, but transform into a FCC structure at higher temperatures.

5. How do crystal structures affect the properties of a material?

The crystal structure of a material can greatly influence its physical and mechanical properties. For example, materials with FCC structures tend to have higher ductility and are more malleable compared to materials with BCC structures. The arrangement of atoms also affects the strength and conductivity of the material. Therefore, understanding the crystal structure is crucial in predicting and controlling the properties of a material.