What is the Best Way to Install a Cryogenic Finger in a High Vacuum Chamber?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to feed a cryogenic finger through their high vacuum chamber. They have three options: modifying an existing dewar, purchasing a right-angle LN2 cold trap with NW/KF fittings and adding a mechanical attachment, or buying a pre-made finger. Based on the options, the second one seems to be the most cost-effective and efficient solution. It allows for more control over the specifications of the finger and eliminates the need for expensive custom parts. However, it may be difficult to find a pre-made finger that meets the exact specifications needed.
SomeUser321
Hi,

I have a high vacuum chamber, where I would like to feed a cryogenic finger through. The finger is to be mounted on top of the chamber (flange is parallel to floor), and the flange is a 4.5" Conflat type.

I have a few options, and want to know how best to proceed.

1) I have an existing dewar, which has a non-standard flange. I can modify this dewar, but to make the dewar connect to the conflat will need some custom high-vacuum parts made by an external company. This is expensive and very time consuming.

2) I can buy a right-angle LN2 cold trap with NW/KF fittings, and then seal off one of the fittings. I can find someone (not sure where) to weld/braze a mechanical attachment to the base of the dewar, which I can use to fit my own custom cryogenic finger

3) I would like to just BUY a finger that is the right length, and doesn't have any bells and whistles (eg heaters for temperature control, thermocouples, etc). The problem here is I can't seem to find anyone who will sell such an item.Does anyone have any better suggestions? The finger needs to be about 30cm long.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the scientific community for assistance with your high vacuum chamber and cryogenic finger setup. Based on the options you have presented, I would recommend the second option of purchasing a right-angle LN2 cold trap with NW/KF fittings and having a mechanical attachment welded/brazed to the base of your existing dewar.

This option seems to be the most cost-effective and time-efficient solution. By using the NW/KF fittings, you can easily seal off one of the fittings and then have a mechanical attachment added to fit your custom cryogenic finger. This will also allow you to have more control over the length and specifications of the finger, as you will be able to design it to your exact needs.

Regarding your third option of purchasing a pre-made cryogenic finger, it may be difficult to find one that is the exact length you need and does not include any extra features. However, you may want to consider reaching out to companies that specialize in cryogenics and see if they offer custom-made fingers that meet your specifications.

I hope this helps and wish you success in finding the best solution for your setup.

What is cryogenic finger sourcing?

Cryogenic finger sourcing is the process of obtaining or acquiring cryogenic fingers, which are specialized tools used in cryogenic experiments and studies.

Why are cryogenic fingers important in scientific research?

Cryogenic fingers are important in scientific research because they allow for the handling and manipulation of extremely cold materials and substances, which are often necessary for conducting experiments in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

Where can I find cryogenic fingers?

Cryogenic fingers can be sourced from various suppliers, including scientific equipment companies, specialized cryogenic equipment manufacturers, and online marketplaces.

What are the key factors to consider when sourcing cryogenic fingers?

Some key factors to consider when sourcing cryogenic fingers include the material and design of the finger (such as stainless steel or copper, and straight or curved), the size and shape of the finger (which should be compatible with your cryogenic equipment), and the supplier's reputation and reliability.

How do I determine the appropriate cryogenic finger for my experiment?

The appropriate cryogenic finger for your experiment will depend on the specific requirements of your experiment, such as the temperature range and the type of material being handled. It is important to consult with experts or do thorough research to determine the best cryogenic finger for your needs.