Space engineering, astrophysics and cosmology

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's strong interest in cosmology and astrophysics, but the limited job opportunities in the field. They are considering a combined degree in aerospace engineering and science as a backup plan. They also express concerns about the difficulty of the field and the possibility of working in other types of engineering if they are unable to work in the USA. The speaker suggests pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering instead, as it can provide a well-rounded skill set and more job options. They also mention the challenges of maintaining high grades in a dual degree program and the overlap between engineering and physics.
|mathematix|
I discovered that I have a very strong interest in cosmology and astrophysics but the field seems to be extremely competitive and jobs are very limited.
I am thinking of doing aerospace engineering + science combined degree just because doing science alone seems like a gamble as I might end up teaching at a high school if things go wrong.
I would like to know how difficult the field is and if my interest and motivation are enough for me to succeed in the field. If for some reason I can't make it to the USA (as that is where this field is successful) can I still work in aeronautical engineering or other types of engineering?

Last edited:
Likes yeshuamo
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to know this as well, if anyone has insight.

I am not an expert but I can offer some insight.

Aerospace engineers who actually work in aerospace are dependent on the boom-bust cycles of the aerospace industry since it is something that goes in and out of style. If you have true interests in astronautical engineering I would go for the Mechanical Engineering degree. Aerospace/Astrospace are essentially subfields of Mechanical. Aerospace Engineers who are working on a team that does space-related engineering only know a few sets of abilities over mechanical engineers, who can quickly learn the relevant concepts and ideas. Plus in case THAT doesn't work out since space engineering is limited in itself, you have plenty of other lucrative options with a ME degree.

In addition an engineering-science dual degree would be very challenging to maintain high grades in and complete in 4 years. Engineers don't take any theoretical physics classes which is primarily the bulk of a pure physics major. There is at least some significant overlap with physics and engineering but with chemistry and biology there is not much. (except with chemistry & chemE I think, but even in chemE there's more physics than chem)

Hope this helps

Likes yeshuamo

What is space engineering?

Space engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on designing, building, and operating systems and equipment for use in space exploration and other space-related activities. This can include spacecraft, satellites, and other technologies that are used to study and explore objects in space.

What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, and galaxies. It uses principles from physics to study the behavior and interactions of these objects, as well as the origin and evolution of the universe.

What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, structure, and evolution of the universe. It combines elements of astronomy, physics, and philosophy to understand the fundamental nature of the universe and its components.

What are some current challenges in space engineering?

Some current challenges in space engineering include developing technologies for long-term human spaceflight, creating sustainable and efficient propulsion systems, and designing spacecraft that can withstand the harsh conditions of space.

What are some current topics of research in astrophysics and cosmology?

Some current topics of research in astrophysics and cosmology include the study of dark matter and dark energy, the search for habitable exoplanets, and the investigation of the earliest stages of the universe through the study of cosmic microwave background radiation.