Solving Space Junk Momentum Problem

• Thread starter quickclick330
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, space junk is man-made debris orbiting Earth that poses a risk to space missions and safety. It affects momentum by colliding with other objects and there are current methods for solving the problem such as actively removing debris and improving tracking. Challenges include the large amount of debris, cost, and ethical considerations. Scientists have a crucial role in research, international collaboration, and raising awareness to address the space junk momentum problem.
quickclick330
A spherical satellite of radius 4.7 m and mass M = 195 kg is originally moving with velocity = < 2700, 0, 0 > m/s, and is originally rotating with an angular speed = 2 radians/second, in the direction shown in the diagram. A small piece of space junk of mass m = 4.1 kg is initially moving toward the satellite with velocity= < -2100, 0, 0 > m/s. The space junk hits the edge of the satellite at location C as shown in the diagram, and moves off with a new velocity = < -1200, 490, 0 > m/s. Both before and after the collision, the rotation of the space junk is negligible.
32814.gif

MOMENTUM
After the collision, what is the final momentum of the satellite?

i tried this...

system: junk and satellite

so pf = pi

pjunk-f + psat-f = pjunk-i + psat-i

psat-f = (pjunk-i + psat-i)/ pjunk-f
= ((mjunk*vjunk-i) + (msat*vsat-i))/ (mjunk*vjunk-f)

= ((4.1 kg *<-2100,0,0> m/s) + (195 kg * <2700, 0 0> m/s))/ (<-1200, 490,0> m/s * 4.1 kg)

= <-437, 0 , 0>what am i missing/doing wrong? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here you have to use conservation of momentum and energy. You can wright three equations.
1) MsVsi -MjVji = MsVsf*cos(theta1) - MjVjf*cos(theta2){ x-components of momentums]
2) MsVsf*sin(theta1) = MjVjf*sin(theta2) [y-components of momentums]
3) 1/2*MsVsi^2 + 1/2*Is*wsi^2 + 1/2*MjVji^2 = 1/2*MsVsf^2 + 1/2*Is*wf^2 +1/2*MjVjf^2. [ conservation of energy]
In this we know Ms, Mj, Vsi , Vji , wsi and (theta2). Now we have to find Vsf, Vjf, Wsf and (theta1). Can you try further?

Last edited:
Are you not interested in this problem? Realy it is a very good porblem. If you find it difficult to do all these calculations at a stretch, do in steps. If you stuck up take help.

1. What is space junk and why is it a problem?

Space junk, also known as orbital debris, refers to man-made objects orbiting Earth that no longer serve a useful purpose. This includes fragments of spacecraft, old satellites, and other debris. The accumulation of space junk is a problem because it poses a risk to current and future space missions, as well as the safety of astronauts and spacecraft.

2. How does space junk affect momentum in space?

Space junk affects momentum in space by colliding with other objects and transferring its momentum to them. This can cause changes in the trajectory and speed of operational spacecraft, making it difficult for them to maintain their desired orbit. Additionally, the presence of space junk can make it more challenging for spacecraft to maneuver and avoid collisions.

3. What are some current methods for solving the space junk momentum problem?

Some current methods for solving the space junk momentum problem include actively removing debris from orbit through techniques such as using nets or lasers, and designing spacecraft and satellites to have shorter lifespans and burn up in the Earth's atmosphere at the end of their missions. Another approach is to improve tracking and monitoring of space debris to better avoid collisions.

4. What are the challenges of solving the space junk momentum problem?

One of the main challenges of solving the space junk momentum problem is the sheer amount of debris in orbit, making it difficult to track and remove every single piece. Additionally, implementing solutions can be costly and require international cooperation. There may also be ethical considerations, as some debris may still hold scientific or historical value.

5. What role can scientists play in solving the space junk momentum problem?

Scientists play a crucial role in solving the space junk momentum problem through research and development of new technologies and strategies for tracking and removing debris from orbit. They can also contribute to international collaborations and provide valuable expertise and data to inform decision-making processes. Furthermore, scientists can also help raise public awareness and advocate for responsible practices in space to prevent the accumulation of more debris.