1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space Junk problem

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    A spherical satellite of radius 4.7 m and mass M = 195 kg is originally moving with velocity = < 2700, 0, 0 > m/s, and is originally rotating with an angular speed = 2 radians/second, in the direction shown in the diagram. A small piece of space junk of mass m = 4.1 kg is initially moving toward the satellite with velocity= < -2100, 0, 0 > m/s. The space junk hits the edge of the satellite at location C as shown in the diagram, and moves off with a new velocity = < -1200, 490, 0 > m/s. Both before and after the collision, the rotation of the space junk is negligible.
    [​IMG]
    MOMENTUM
    After the collision, what is the final momentum of the satellite?

i tried this...

system: junk and satellite

so pf = pi

pjunk-f + psat-f = pjunk-i + psat-i

psat-f = (pjunk-i + psat-i)/ pjunk-f
    = ((mjunk*vjunk-i) + (msat*vsat-i))/ (mjunk*vjunk-f)

= ((4.1 kg *<-2100,0,0> m/s) + (195 kg * <2700, 0 0> m/s))/ (<-1200, 490,0> m/s * 4.1 kg)

= <-437, 0 , 0>

what am i missing/doing wrong? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Here you have to use conservation of momentum and energy. You can wright three equations.
    1) MsVsi -MjVji = MsVsf*cos(theta1) - MjVjf*cos(theta2){ x-components of momentums]
    2) MsVsf*sin(theta1) = MjVjf*sin(theta2) [y-components of momentums]
    3) 1/2*MsVsi^2 + 1/2*Is*wsi^2 + 1/2*MjVji^2 = 1/2*MsVsf^2 + 1/2*Is*wf^2 +1/2*MjVjf^2. [ conservation of energy]
    In this we know Ms, Mj, Vsi , Vji , wsi and (theta2). Now we have to find Vsf, Vjf, Wsf and (theta1). Can you try further?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  4. Nov 15, 2007 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Are you not interested in this problem? Realy it is a very good porblem. If you find it difficult to do all these calculations at a stretch, do in steps. If you stuck up take help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?