Space Shuttle orbit velocity

In summary: D\rho AT}{2m}You can solve for T from here.In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the time it takes for the space shuttle to complete one orbit around Earth at a distance of 200 km and the number of orbits it would take for aerodynamic drag to reduce its velocity by 10%. The relevant equations and attempts at solving the problem were also discussed.
quiksilver2871

Homework Statement

2. The space shuttle is orbiting the Earth at a distance of about 200 km from its surface.
At that distance, the gravitational acceleration is almost the same as that on the
surface. (a) How long does it take for the shuttle to complete one orbit around the
Earth? Assume that the orbit is circular. (b) The density of air at 200 km is about
5 × 10−10kgr m−3. How many orbits will it take for aerodynamic drag to reduce the
velocity of the shuttle by 10%? The coefficient of aerodynamic drag for the shuttle is
' 0.5, the surface area projected along the direction of motion is ' 400 m2, and the
weight of the shuttle midway through a mission is about one million tons.

Homework Equations

R=.5DpAv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok i got the portion of (a). i got an answer of 88.4413minutes. that's also with a velocity of 7.7887km/s. I just can't get b. thanks for any help.

Likes Adib Karimi
Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you getting stuck with (b)? You seem to have the correct equation (assuming D is the drag coefficient).

i just don't know how that equation is relevant to the time it takes to drop down to 90% of its speed.

What does that equation tell you?

it tells me how to solve for resistive force. i know how to solve for the 2 resistive forces at both speeds, but i don't know how to get the time it takes to drop to the slower speed

How about if we write;

[tex]F_d = m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

please forgive me, but i really don't see the connection. I am sry, maybe I am too tired to think straight.

Okay, explicitly;

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}D\rho Av^2 = m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{D\rho A}{2m}v^2 = 0[/tex]

Which is a linear ODE

where did the m come from? If that's the mass of the space shuttle wouldn't it be a really big number to plug in?

quiksilver2871 said:
where did the m come from? If that's the mass of the space shuttle wouldn't it be a really big number to plug in?
The m came from Newton's second law (see post #6). And yes m is going to be large, the question says one million tons, but your velocity and the CSA of the shuttle isn't exactly small...

so would i have to convert the weight of it to kilograms or anything? also what would i plug in for v? would i plug in Vf-Vi or what?

quiksilver2871 said:
so would i have to convert the weight of it to kilograms or anything? also what would i plug in for v? would i plug in Vf-Vi or what?
You should convert all quantities to their SI units and you can't just plug the numbers in, you have to solve the differential equation first.

could you please guide me on what steps i should take to solve this equation. This problem has me completely stumped.

Okay, from here;

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}D\rho Av^2 = m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

By separation of variables;

[tex]\int^{0.9v_0}_{v_0} \frac{dv}{v^2} = -\frac{D\rho A}{2m}\int_{0}^{T} dt[/tex]

1. What is the average speed of the Space Shuttle in orbit?

The average speed of the Space Shuttle in orbit is approximately 17,500 miles per hour (28,000 kilometers per hour).

2. How fast does the Space Shuttle need to travel to maintain orbit?

The Space Shuttle needs to travel at a speed of at least 17,500 miles per hour (28,000 kilometers per hour) to maintain orbit around Earth.

3. How is the orbit velocity of the Space Shuttle measured?

The orbit velocity of the Space Shuttle is measured using radar tracking and telemetry data transmitted from the shuttle to ground stations.

4. Can the orbit velocity of the Space Shuttle be changed?

Yes, the orbit velocity of the Space Shuttle can be changed by firing its engines to increase or decrease its speed. This is often done to adjust the shuttle's orbit or to prepare for re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.

5. How does the orbit velocity of the Space Shuttle compare to the speed of other objects in space?

The orbit velocity of the Space Shuttle is relatively slow compared to other objects in space, such as satellites and interplanetary spacecraft. However, it is still incredibly fast compared to speeds on Earth, and allows the shuttle to circle the Earth once every 90 minutes.