Space Station,Exploding Object

• Thread starter ZxcvbnM2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving objects A and B colliding with a tube. The original attempt at a solution includes calculations for the velocities of the objects and the tube, but the solutions provide a different result. The concept of conservation of momentum is brought up and it is determined that if the entire system is considered, the tube will not move. The conversation also briefly mentions the fact that object B will cover less distance due to the tube's movement, but this does not affect the velocities and is not relevant to the given problem.
ZxcvbnM2000

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved questions a) and b) no problem but the thing is that in c)

i said that B will hit the end first so at first the tube will move with a speed Vtube1 ( Vb=x/t).So t=23.25s . After some time which i found to be 47.17 s , object A will hit the other end so the tube will now move by δV = Va-Vb .

But in the solutions it says that the tube's velocity will be zero!

can you please explain ?!

Attachments

• 2009 Exam.JPG
    2009 Exam.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ZxcvbnM2000! :smile:
ZxcvbnM2000 said:
i said that B will hit the end first so at first the tube will move with a speed Vtube1 ( Vb=x/t).So t=23.25s . After some time which i found to be 47.17 s , object A will hit the other end so the tube will now move by δV = Va-Vb .

How can it take 23 s to go only 1 m ? :confused:

A will hit first.

(It would help in future if you show all your calculations at the start.)
But in the solutions it says that the tube's velocity will be zero!

what about conservation of momentum?

Explosion (system of objects A&B) : 0 = 0.8*1 + 3* ub so ub = -0.26 m/s .

Object A : Ma*ua = (Ma+Mtube)*Vtube <=> Vtube = 0.0615 m/s

Object B : Mb*ub=(Mb+Mtube)*V'tube so V'tube=-0.052 m/s

And because this is space we're talking about the movement is linear so V=x/t for each object and we can find the times until they hit the ends.

What do you mean conservation of momentum ?
This is really not intuitive for me!

So you are saying that if we consider the tube as system how can we prove that it won't move ?

ZxcvbnM2000 said:
Object A : Ma*ua = (Ma+Mtube)*Vtube <=> Vtube = 0.0615 m/s

Object B : Mb*ub=(Mb+Mtube)*V'tube so V'tube=-0.052 m/s

A yes; B no, because you need to use the new velocity and mass after A collides with the tube
What do you mean conservation of momentum ?
This is really not intuitive for me!

So you are saying that if we consider the tube as system how can we prove that it won't move ?

if we consider the whole thing as the system, yes :smile:

Momentum Conservation between ( A&Tube) & B

so mb*ub + (ma + mtube)*V = (ma +mb +mtube)*V'

but we know that ma*ua + 0 =(ma +mtube)*V , also -maua=mbub

so V' = 0 right ?? So it won't move.But i have a question as The tube is going to the left after colliding with A and B is going to the right doesn't this mean that B will cover less distance ??

ZxcvbnM2000 said:
Momentum Conservation between ( A&Tube) & B

so mb*ub + (ma + mtube)*V = (ma +mb +mtube)*V'

but we know that ma*ua + 0 =(ma +mtube)*V , also -maua=mbub

so V' = 0 right ?? So it won't move.

quicker would be to compare before and after for the whole thing :wink:
The tube is going to the left after colliding with A and B is going to the right doesn't this mean that B will cover less distance ??

yes, but so what? it won't affect the velocities, and the question doesn't ask for it! :smile:

1. What is a space station?

A space station is a large spacecraft that orbits Earth and serves as a long-term home and workplace for astronauts. It is equipped with living quarters, laboratories, and other facilities for scientific research and experiments.

2. How does a space station explode?

A space station can explode due to a variety of reasons, such as a malfunction in its systems, a collision with other objects in space, or damage from space debris. It can also be intentionally destroyed if it is no longer functioning properly or is at the end of its lifespan.

3. What are the effects of an exploding object in space?

An exploding object in space can have various effects, depending on its size and proximity to other objects. It can create a shockwave that can damage nearby spacecraft or cause them to lose communication. It can also release debris that can pose a threat to other objects in orbit.

4. Can an exploding object in space be prevented?

Efforts are made to prevent exploding objects in space through proper maintenance and monitoring of space stations and spacecraft. However, there is always a risk of accidents and collisions in space due to the large number of objects in orbit.

5. What is the role of a scientist in studying exploding objects in space?

Scientists play a crucial role in studying exploding objects in space and understanding their causes and effects. They use various instruments and techniques to collect data and analyze it to improve space technology and safety. They also help in developing protocols for preventing and mitigating the impact of exploding objects in space.