Space-Time Black Holes: Measuring Warped Space/Time

In summary, black holes cause curvature of spacetime based on their mass and distance from an object. They possess only three qualities: mass, charge, and angular momentum, which can be used to calculate other characteristics such as surface gravity. The largest known black holes have been observed to have masses of 18 billion times that of the Sun. It is theoretically possible for a black hole to curve spacetime enough to connect to another galaxy, creating a wormhole, but this has never been observed.
THADONDARA
Can the amount of space/time warped by a black hole be measured and if so, where can I find measurements of previously measured black holes?

Space news on Phys.org
All things with mass or energy cause curvature of spacetime. The amount of curvature depends on the amount of mass/energy and the distance from it. Unfortunately I do not know the math to calculate all that.

Black holes are very special in that the only qualities they possesses are mass, charge, and angular momentum. If you know the value of those three qualities, you can calculate everything else about them, including their surface gravity. For the simplest case, a black hole with no charge and no angular momentum (i.e. non-rotating), the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_gravity#The_Schwarzschild_solution" provides a simple result.

Astronomers have observed black holes with masses of 18 billion times that of the Sun; you can plug that value into the Schwarzschild solution and compute the gravitational "strength" of the largest black holes known.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you for your answers they helped a lot i don't know much about astronomy and I am trying to learn and understand as much as i can.

Would it be possible that a black hole has some much mass that it curves space/time to connect to another galaxy?

That would be called a wormhole. They are sort of like unicorns - never actually observed.

Related to Space-Time Black Holes: Measuring Warped Space/Time

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. This is because black holes have a high concentration of mass in a small space, creating a strong gravitational force.

2. How is space-time warped by black holes?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and energy can warp the fabric of space-time, causing it to curve. In the case of black holes, the extreme concentration of mass creates a deep curvature in space-time, essentially creating a "well" that objects fall into.

3. How do scientists measure warped space-time around black holes?

One way to measure warped space-time around black holes is by observing the effects of gravity on nearby objects. This can be done through gravitational lensing, where the gravity of the black hole bends light from distant stars and galaxies.

4. What tools and technology do scientists use to study black holes?

Scientists use a variety of tools and technology to study black holes, including telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. Telescopes allow us to observe and gather data from distant black holes, while satellites help us study the effects of black holes on their surrounding environment. Computer simulations allow scientists to model and understand the behavior of black holes.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This is because the escape velocity (the speed needed to break free from the gravitational pull) of a black hole is greater than the speed of light. However, some particles and energy can escape through processes such as Hawking radiation and jets.