Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Space time fabrics with Gravity

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    Why does an object is attracted towards Earth according to Einstein?? I only know that celestial objects are attracted due to curve made by another massive object but what happens in case of objects attached to Earth??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 22, 2017 #3

Ibix

Science Advisor

Gravity is curvature of spacetime. That's true whether the source of gravity is a star or the Earth or you. The "strength" of curvature is different in each case, but the idea is the same.

5. Feb 22, 2017 #4
    So u mean to say that due to curvature made by Earth's mass, we r attracted towards Earth?? Or something else?

6. Feb 22, 2017 #5

Ibix

Science Advisor

Basically. Spacetime near any body with mass doesn't obey the rules of Euclidean geometry. The notion of things moving in straight lines unless acted on by a force is replaced by things moving along curves (towards the Earth) unless acted on by a force - such as the floor pushing up on you. The videos that A.T. posted above are good illustrations.

7. Feb 22, 2017 #6
    I think Im much small(15 year old) to understand such physics but I will continue my curiosity

8. Feb 22, 2017 #7
    Thanks for help

9. Feb 22, 2017 #8
    Just to offer input, Einstein thought of gravity as more of a "side-effect" of the curvature of space time, compared to Newton's view of gravity being an attraction of massive bodies.

10. Feb 22, 2017 #9

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted