Gravity: Why Objects Attract Towards Earth | Einstein

In summary: Why does an object is attracted towards Earth according to Einstein?? I only know that celestial objects are attracted due to curve made by another massive object but what happens in case of objects attached to Earth??[emoji26] [emoji26]Gravity is curvature of spacetime. That's true whether the source of gravity is a star or the Earth or you. The "strength" of curvature is different in each case, but the idea is the same.
Shubham Raj22
Why does an object is attracted towards Earth according to Einstein?? I only know that celestial objects are attracted due to curve made by another massive object but what happens in case of objects attached to Earth??[emoji26] [emoji26]

Physics news on Phys.org
Shubham Raj22 said:
Why does an object is attracted towards Earth according to Einstein?? I only know that celestial objects are attracted due to curve made by another massive object but what happens in case of objects attached to Earth??[emoji26] [emoji26]

Gravity is curvature of spacetime. That's true whether the source of gravity is a star or the Earth or you. The "strength" of curvature is different in each case, but the idea is the same.

Likes Shubham Raj22
Ibix said:
Gravity is curvature of spacetime. That's true whether the source of gravity is a star or the Earth or you. The "strength" of curvature is different in each case, but the idea is the same.
So u mean to say that due to curvature made by Earth's mass, we r attracted towards Earth?? Or something else?

Shubham Raj22 said:
So u mean to say that due to curvature made by Earth's mass, we r attracted towards Earth??
Basically. Spacetime near anybody with mass doesn't obey the rules of Euclidean geometry. The notion of things moving in straight lines unless acted on by a force is replaced by things moving along curves (towards the Earth) unless acted on by a force - such as the floor pushing up on you. The videos that A.T. posted above are good illustrations.

Likes Shubham Raj22
I think I am much small(15 year old) to understand such physics but I will continue my curiosity [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

Thanks for help

Shubham Raj22 said:
So u mean to say that due to curvature made by Earth's mass, we r attracted towards Earth?? Or something else?
Just to offer input, Einstein thought of gravity as more of a "side-effect" of the curvature of space time, compared to Newton's view of gravity being an attraction of massive bodies.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract towards each other. In simpler terms, it is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why the earth, with its large mass, has a strong gravitational pull towards its center.

3. Who is responsible for the theory of gravity?

While Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering and formulating the laws of gravity, Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity further advanced our understanding of gravity and its effects on space and time.

4. Why do objects fall towards the earth?

Objects fall towards the earth because of the earth's gravitational pull. This pull is proportional to the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the center of the earth.

5. Can gravity be defied?

No, gravity cannot be defied. It is a natural force that exists everywhere in the universe. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as when an object is thrown upwards against the force of gravity.