Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space-time singularity

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    What is space-time singularity?
    How it formed...?
    Is singularity possible..?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

"singularity" means "the place where our math models break down and we don't know WHAT is happening". They are "physical" because there is something there, but not something that we understand. For example, the center of a black hole is a "singularity" but we have no idea what's really there. Maybe when we get a theory of Quantum Gravity we'll have a better understanding.

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    How the space and time meet..?
    Time is not a physical quantity na...?
    Time is just a measure of interval between occurring event..
    Then how it meets with space...?

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It sounds to me as though you would be much better off reading some fundamental cosmology rather than asking scattered questions on an internet forum. This is a great place to get clarification when you read something you don't understand, but just asking scattered question is not a good way to learn physics.

6. Apr 30, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm sorry - are we having a conversation? Or are you just writing down a bunch of scattered questions and not bothering to read the answers.

7. Apr 30, 2015 #6
    Hmmm... Sure I will.. I will back if I have any doubts...

8. Apr 30, 2015 #7

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Spacetime is a very basic concept in relativity; the best place to learn about it is a good textbook. Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics is one such text. You will be much better able to ask useful questions after you have an understanding of the fundamentals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook